Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Return of the Speculum

There's nothing like reuniting with an old friend. Just when I thought I had finished with wand monkeys, there I was again Thursday, my feet in carwash-mitt-covered-stirrups and a speculum allowing my cervix a brief glimpse of the world. Having to have a pap re-done because of a questionable or bad result is one thing, but to have it re-done because the sample was too small for the lab to test is unforgivable. How much skill does it take to scrap enough microscopic cells into a tube?? Apparently, more than you'd think. At least he didn't charge me for it.

I asked Dr. T what we were doing now, am I just going to be on BCPs forever? He carefully read over his notes on my chart and told me to finish off the two starter packs he'd given me then stop and see what happens. Meaning, let's see if you are still having really short or really long cycles and are still waking up in the morning with your legs stuck together from night sweats. Let's see if you are still perimenopausal in two months' time.

I don't know what to think. Part of me wanted him to tell me, Yes, you are now on the Pill and that's the end of the story. I told my hubby what Dr. T said and I swear I could hear a touch of disappointment in his voice. He said, "So now we wait...again."

We will have a conversation about what to do next before I run out of BCPs. I know that if I told him I wanted to stay on the Pill so that I wouldn't have to be worrying about whether it could happen every month for the next 5 years, he would say OK. I know he wants me to be happy and to be freed from the constant cycling of self-monitoring, timing and disappointment. I also know he wants a baby.

Seriously, I am looking for assvice here. Here are the parameters:
** I am 41, DH is 46.
** No success through 8 Clomid/IUI and 3 injectibles/IUI cycles.
** Two high FSH results, the last one was 18.6.
** 4 consecutive months of extremely short or extremely long cycles, then a period that had to be stopped with Provera.
** History of endometriosis.
** No insurance coverage for ART, and no money for DE or IVF. Also, philosophically and emotionally, as well as financially, injectibles/IUI was as far as we were willing to go.

So now we are left to our own devices. I don't need to tell you the success rate for me is less than 5%, with a 50 -60% miscarriage risk. If I wasn't able to conceive with all that help, what makes me think I can do it on my own, given all the above parameters?

I'm waffling between having the piece of mind that we did everything we said we would do and staying on BCPs to help with the perimenopausal and endo symptoms, and moving on; and going off of them and continuing to try on our own and praying for some miracle.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

13 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Donna honey, I wish there was something I could say. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd follow Dr. T's advice for now and see where things are in 2 months. But I think I'd also start seriously looking into adoption (assuming that that is a possibility for you, financially & emotionally). No one else can tell you what's right for you and your husband, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can do is relate my own experience.

38 husband is 37
FsH skyrocketed to 32 which ended my second injectible cycle
had to decide between DE & adoption....

we chose adoption

I strongly strongly strongly (did I mention strongly) recommend seeing a therapy who specializes in infertility. It was the best thing my husband and I did!

All my best

Julie from "www.talesfromthestirrups.blogspot.com

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I have no assvice, only my own perspective. Guess I'm a bit of a fatalist, or possibly just indecisive, but I've always gone with 'if it happens it happens. if not, eh, wasn't going to no matter what i did'. That got me through 13-ish years of IF. Then, somehow, I got pregnant twice, lost them both, and am now practically desperate to do anything to try again! What the hell is wrong with me?? Anyway, if you absolutely cannot tolerate your symptoms without the pills, then of course you should stay on them. But if you have it in you to give it a few more years, just in case... then tempt fate, baby. Don't spend your retirement wondering "what if".

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Rooshie said...

I have no advice- just personal experience.

I made the choice to get on BCP. I just can't do the "if it happens, it happens" thing every month. Especially when the periods don't come on schedule. We put off so many things when TTC. Wondering every month after we stopped treatment just meant we kept postponing. The wondering was more painful than stopping/preventing. It took a little getting used to, but I was tired of reliving the agony every month.

Obviously, I don't think this is the right answer for everyone, but it is the answer for us. I feel like life is opening up again, finally. It doesn't ALWAYS feel right, but it does about 90% of the time... Guess I'm saying if you try living something, it will either feel right, or it won't. Maybe staying on the pill for 2 months and not addressing this question at all will give you an idea of what you really really want to do.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

Fuck. Like I said before, whatever decision you guys make...it doesn't have to be permanent.
Try a few cycles with nothing...see how it goes and just take it as it comes.
If you are for sure in Peri...just make sure you take care of yourself.
I am sorry that this shit is happening.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You asked what I would do if I were in your shoes - I would do the 2 months and then go off and see what happens. Actually, I'd probably seek out a second opinion. But I can be a glutton for punishment. I wish I had some really great words of wisdom. I don't. Are you able to really separate out the idea that you're "TTC" from just going w/the flow and "seeing what will be". In other words, mentally accept it's pretty much over, but leaving the door open just a crack? Probably not making sense here. Just hoping you find peace w/whatever decision you make. Judy

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger JennaM said...

Ditto to everyone else, especially on the idea that you can change your mind at any time. No explanations necessary. Even though you are "philosophically, emotionally, and financially at your limit" for the moment; make your own rules up as you go along.

I am going to be able to do ED this fall because I have insurance coverage for ART, although we won't be scraping together another 12 grand for eggs if our first donor doesn't work out... just as I couldn't do "one last IUI" when I was told I was not a candidate for IVF because of how poor a responder I was to injectibles. I really have a hard time allowing myself to get burned.

Adoption would automatically become Plan C, although again, cost will set some parameters.

Who knows how to lobby congress for adoption and ART coverage??? The money issue enrages me; there's enough trouble here already...no?

Hang in there, kiddo. Your thoughtful approach to all of this will yield some insight soon...

Thinking of you.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

Donna, I can only tell you what I'm doing.
No BCP's, and just going with the flow (no pun intended.) I am under the impression that I have a 1% chance of getting pregnant, and still a 50% chance of miscarriage. Which leaves very little to chance. But, that is my mode of TTC right now. I guess I don't think about it as much as I did, and pretty much figure that it'll never happen anyway...BUT, I've left the door of hope open just a crack anyway...because you just never know.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

Donna - I wish I had some good advice for you. I know that going month after month with the disappointment of failed natural cycles would drive me nuts. On the other hand, without the BCPs there is always a possibility . . .

Have you tried alternative medicines? Maybe a six months of Chinese herbs, dietary change, acupuncture? Perhaps you've already gone this route, I don't know but other than adoption, that's my only thought. In any case, I am sure you'll choose what's best for you.

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not in any way, shape or form advising you, but here's my experience:

39, perimenopausal, been there done that with ART, TCM, acupuncture, taking a vacation blahblahblah. Have been on BCPs for a month now because not only was the roller coaster getting to be just too much, but also because I found myself a little relieved when I got my period. I googled way too many statistics on genetic problems related to maternal age and that was the tipping point for me. Yes, it is sad to finally give up, but it also provides closure so I can get on with whatever is going to happen next.

Best of luck to you with whatever choice you make.

jc

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing as how I am a total wreck about what to do with myself, I am certainly in no position to offer any assvice. All I can do is say that I hope that your decision comes to you in a massive brightly-lit epiphany, complete with winged seraphs singing the answer to you. Or just that the answer comes easily.

Go with your heart, hon.

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I don't have any good advice. But I agree that you might have a little more insight in two months. Try to let yourself live these two months as though you've let go of the idea. If you realize that you're happy, then maybe go off but don't actively try. As pp have said, leaving the door open just a crack might make you feel better than throwing in the towel.

I'm sorry you have to make this decision. -Kym

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger chris said...

I'm going with Julie on this one: If you're up to it, just see what happens, if your symptoms aren't too bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home