Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Seven, Unleashed

My Dad, his girlfriend/common-law wife/mother of his son, and their 14 year-old son are on their way down for a visit. They are driving down from B.C., taking their time. They should be here by Friday. I am really looking forward to seeing my Dad and even M., although she is far too indulgent with her child and can be annoying, but I could totally do without my half-brother.

I know that's terrible. Here's the thing. He's 14. He's brooding, selfish, arrogant and spoiled. He treats his parents like shit. Everything sucks. Everything is boring. "Whatever" is his standard reply to almost every question, and all he wants to do is play violent video games on the computer. (He's not touching our computer, BTW, they've had theirs "mysteriously stop working" way too many times.) Sounds like your typical 14 year-old boy, right?

But, there are two others factors at play for me:

#1. He has the same first name as the child that my husband gave up for adoption. Just hearing it said makes me sad.

#2. He looks freakishly like my brother at that age. My brother that molested me. My brother who was killed in a car accident in April. My brother who at age 14 was molesting the 7 year-old me.

I hope my inner child doesn't just lose it on his ass.

13 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, sweetie. I hope that the good of seeing your dad will overshadow the bad. What a tough situation for you. (((hugs))) -Kym

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

I hope the visit goes MUCH MUCH better than you anticipate...especially with your half brother....and don't you know...I think most kids NEED people to lose it on them once in a while. It's good for 'em. :)

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeee -- not good. I hope you can take frequent breaks.

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the visit with your dad is fun and goes better than you are expecting :o)

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Try not to let the behavior of a typical teenage boy ruin your time with your Dad. You got to figure he's not exactly thrilled about visiting either. Hope you have a good experience with them. Maybe your half-brother will surprise you.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Foxxy One said...

I came across your blog from "P's" blog (Mother of None). I hope your visit goes well.

I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blogline.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Donna...14 is a pretty rotten age for most teenagers, I think. I hope the weekend ends up going well for all of you, and that you have a great time with your dad.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, girl... I had no idea about your brother... how absolutely horrible... I don't even know what else to say...

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger JennaM said...

There is a similarly symbolic step-daughter in my life, so I feel your quandary. When you most want to know that you're bound for parenthood, you're faced with a child who does not inspire your maternal instincts at all (or who even dulls them). Try to know that your feelings for him have nothing to do with your capacity for parental love. In other words, just because you're infertile, doesn't mean he's NOT a pain in the ass. Don't even let him look in the computer.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Sue said...

How long are they going to be here, Donna? Visiting family is such a mixed blessing - stirs up all kinds of dysfunctional family crap, I think.

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Donna. I was just checking the P&B board and saw all the birthday wishes, so wanted to first, wish you a wonderful birthday, and two chime in on the family visit you are about to undertake. Family is a mixed blessing isn't it. And these days with all the blended family stuff, the dynamic is so much more intense. Just try to take the 14 yr old half brother with a grain and enjoy the time with your dad.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I hope you are able to enjoy your dad's visit.

As for your late brother, I had no idea. I'm so sorry.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

Hey Donna...I was just wondering how your weekend went? You've been very quiet...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home