Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Another Day Older

I try to think of my birthday as just that: I am one day older than I was yesterday. It's hard to think that way when you are goal-oriented and the goal you've been orienting towards for many years (ugh!) is still left as an unfinished and seemingly impossible task.

For those of you who only know me in the blogosphere I'm sure I seem quite sad. I assure you I'm really not, it's just that I tend to write when I am feeling down more than when I am feeling good.

My Mom called last night, ostensibly to wish me a happy birthday, but of course the conversation quickly turned to herself and of course, my brother. She asked me how I was doing "dealing with it all". The best I could sputter out was that my relationship with him was much different than anyone else's, but I was doing fine, thank you. And yes, I looked at all the pictures from the funeral and I'm still fine. Perhaps the fact that I don't have children makes it impossible for me to know what she is going through. Or perhaps I'm so used to her being in crisis that even when a genuine one presents itself, I still have no empathy.

Maybe I'm just tired. This working FT crap sucks! I honestly don't know how I did it for 15 years straight without blinking an eye. I want to sleep in. I want to go to the gym. I want to have lunch on a week day with friends. I want to take my dogs for a walk along the shoreline.

Well at least it's a good day to have a party. Too bad it's a big pity party! (Everyone sing along with me.)

11 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow... you KNOW I can so relate to the 'writing when you're down' thing. And I'm happy to be here listening no matter WHAT you're feeling...

And um... ya... that brief comment about your mother... I think I'm seeing some of those similarities you mentioned...

 
At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having a blog is a great way to vent! And we are all here for you, and for each other. So, keep on venting sister, until it's all out of you!
Have a wonderful birthday and make sure you sing 'Happy Birthday ' out loud all day! Celebrate your birthday and know how happy you make other people, just by being you!
Happy Birthday, Donna!

 
At 3:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...Ooops! the above comment was from me!

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, happy birthday anyway, Donna. The world gained a strong spirit when you entered it.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Happy Birthday Donna! Have a big slice of cake and enjoy it.

I swear I could've written "For those of you who only know me in the blogosphere I'm sure I seem quite sad. I assure you I'm really not, it's just that I tend to write when I am feeling down more than when I am feeling good." And to be honest - you don't come off to me as being quite sad. There's a vivacity and happiness that shines through in much of what you write. And I'm sure it's coursing through you.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Donna!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

((HUGS)) Donna.
I hope you had a good birthday despite everything.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you had a good birthday. It is another day older, but it's also another day with Devin and another day that cake exists on the earth. That's gotta be a good thing.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, I'm sending you belated ((((((((((hugs))))))))))) on your birthday and much love.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

Donna -- My deepest apologies for the loss of your brother.

I hope you were able to have a somewhat happy birthday, despite it all.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger chris said...

Happy Birthday. I vote for taking Monday off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home