Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Parting the Red Sea

Once again my life has totally changed over the span of one week. Or at least my perception of it.

After two full weeks of bleeding I finally called my old OB, the guy who did all the IUIs who’s no longer covered by my insurance, even for non-IF related visits. I figured it was worth it to shell out the cost of an appointment to see someone who had my history for the past 3 years. He did a full annual exam and didn’t find anything remarkable (I’ll get the pap results next week, I guess).

However, based on my Tale of the Wacky Cycles since my last injectibles/IUI cycle failed in February (three 20-day cycles in a row, a normal 29-day cycle, then this cycle in which I spotted heavily on CD16-18, started on CD27 and just never stopped bleeding), he gently imparted the following:

“Your ovaries, uterus and cervix are fine. What you are experiencing is hormonal in nature. I don’t think you’re ovulating and have moved from pre-menopausal, where you were last year when we were doing the IUIs, into perimenopause. I think the best and easiest way to deal with the irregular periods is to start you on Provera for 5 days and then after you finish your next period (which will probably be very heavy), start on BCPs.”

And with that, my old label of IF patient was replaced with perimenopausal patient. How does this happen in less than 6 months? I am so confused, angry and sad. The Provera isn’t helping. Last night I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

On to the job stuff. I agreed to a 4-week consulting assignment at my new client, taking over for someone who left quite unexpectently. I told them I would be willing to talk about rolling over to a permanent FT position if I liked it well enough to give up my old client and my status as a consultant. After only a few days I started finding red flags – things that gave me pause and made me wonder about the company’s future, its internal practices and the working environment. The only thing it has going for it is its location, which as I said before, is REALLY close to home.

I told my boss at my other client (who is a wonderful, caring person who herself went through years of IF hell before adopting) about the opportunity. She was at first excited for me, knowing that it’s been my goal to be closer to home, but once I started talking about how things were there, became concerned that it was a step backwards in my career. At my next day there she took me into her office and offered me her job as the manager of the department. We had talked several times in the past about how she was grooming me to be her successor (she’s been there for 15 years) and if she was going to pass it on to anyone, she wouldn’t want to do that to anyone but me. Her other two direct reports have both been there for many years as well, but neither is management material. She would make me a manager under her and shift her focus to her other responsibilities outside the department, still being there as my mentor. This would enable me to get management experience without first having any management experience, something I couldn’t do at any other company. She would also factor in working from home one day a week. She said, if you hate it, stick it out for a year or two and then move on, adding to your resume. This would mean giving up my status as a consultant, something I covet. But it did give me a lot to think about.

After several more days at the new client and after my doctor’s appointment on Thursday, I told them that I would be leaving after my 4 weeks were up. I said it was for personal reasons. Perhaps it wasn’t smart to make this decision in my current frame of mind, but I wanted to be fair to them and give them ample time to find a replacement. DH says I can always change my mind.

I think what I am looking for right now is status quo. I love working PT and I love NOT being an employee. So I’m going to ask my boss at my old client if we can leave things the way they are right now and maybe later in the year talk again about hiring me as her successor.

Your comments are appreciated, as always.

8 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I have no idea about the career thing, but your doctors news sucks.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

I'm sorry about you being peri-menopausal, it's hard news to come to terms with (I got to hear that I was perimenopausal last December, and some days it still gets me down.)
As far as your professional life goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" It sounds like you've been relatively happy all along. It's good to try something new once in a while, but if you are seeing red flags already in week one, it's doubtful it'll get better in any hurry.
Take care...

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

Donna...I am sorry about your drs appt...but I am glad that you went to get those bleeding issues checked out, I know how frustrating and scary it can be.
I hope the Provera starts doing what it's supposed and you start feeling better.
I know that you have been hit with one thing or another lately, but just know that there are LOTS of people thinking about you.
Please, let me know if I can do anything, or if you just need to talk.
The Big M word sucks ass!
((HUGS))

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for this diagnosis. And equally sorry that the Provera is not doing anything to help. I hope at least the bleeding abates soon.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Donna...just so sorry that you heard news you didn't want to hear this week, but I have to say, you sound as if you're either incredibly accepting or in shock. Either way, I'm sending my fellow Canadian warm thoughts from up north here.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Donna - that just sucks!

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I'm sorry for your diagnosis; perhaps a second opinion might help, *just* in case. My doc keeps focusing on PCOS; I'm tired of Provera, Metformin, and Aleve!
(Oh, and, stick with your current gig, you don't need any surprises). Good luck!

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really sorry - big hugs from me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home