Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

TV, Movies & the Internet

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm really trying not to be a big Drama Queen, but holy crap, shit just keeps comin' at me lately.

If you care, a little update on my ever-changing job situation. I told New Close-to-Home Client that I would stay until they found a FT replacement, since it ain't gonna be me sitting in that chair. I really wanted to leave after my 4-week assignment was up, but it didn't seem fair to leave them in the lurch when I have no other commitments.

I also talked to Old Client and asked if we could hold off on the move to Manager and FT employee-status there. My boss agreed that if she were me, she wouldn't want to change things either. I'm not ready to give up my PT consultant status just yet. She said at some point her hand may be forced, but for right now we're back at status quo. Phew.

I wanted to make a couple of comments on stuff I've seen and read lately. Has anybody seen the new TV Guide that just came out? Ugh. Kelly Ripa on the front cover proclaiming, "My body is so much better since I had kids!" Oh, go fuck yourself, Kelly.

We finally watched The Village last weekend. I don't know why we waited so long to see it, we loved Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Whoever wrote the liner notes and described it as a "thriller" hadn't seen the movie. I found it to be profoundly sad. I won't give away the classic Shyamalan twist, but essentially the movie is about people who go to extraordinary lengths to leave their pasts behind. No matter how idyllic a life they try to create, tragedy still befalls them. Perhaps it's just the frame of mind I'm in. In any case, I would recommend it.

Finally, there's this site. I LOVE that someone came up with a funny idea and a way to make money at the same time. Take that you freaky Scientology nutbar.

7 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Oh my God! That "Free Katie" website is HILARIOUS!!! Everyone says what a nice guy Tom Cruise is, but he sure seems full of himself, to me.

I saw The Village, too. It was sad. What I got out of it wasn't so much about the pasts left behind, but about how fear in is used to control the masses.

Oh yeah...fuck Kelly Ripa. I'm 5'4", too, but I don't think I will ever see 108 pounds - chasing kids or not!

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That site is funny. I really don't care about them but what an ass he's making of himself. If this doesn't work out (and what are the odds it will???) he's going to look like an even bigger moron.

I hope you're feeling better these days. It's been a really rough ride for you. I'm glad you finally got to make a positive choice for yourself with work. For once you get to choose instead of things happening out of your control. PT rocks - I am jealous!!! -Kym

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
I noticed you find quite a few India writers and movie producers interesting. You had listed "God of Small Things" as one of your favourite books. I hope you get to visit India at some point in your life. Yes, it is a country of poverty, but it's also a country with a totally different culture. Given your affinity for things/people Indian, I think you'll enjoy it. Wishing you much peace and joy in your life Donna. You so deserve it.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Donna, I have to believe that the shitstorm you've been encountering has to have ended. It sounds like you got your work situation back where you want it (or will soon enough) so that's great!

I have always hated Kelly Ripa. First, I just have a problem that what she is doing for a living is someone's JOB. Second, I dealt with her husband on this theater project awhile back and he totally tried to screw us over. So I don't like him, and therefore her by default.

And we saw The Village recently too. I heard such bad things about it, I was surprised by how much I liked it. Like you, I found it sad. But smart.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have ALWAYS thought Tom is a complete freak, wearing that shit-eating grin and wrapping himself up in this clearly artificial veneer of wholesome goodness. He seems soooo fake to me... I've just never understood the appeal of him... He can't even ACT... with the possible exception of Magnolia... but otherwise... ugh. And that freak-ass scientology our souls are half clams crap???? I'm amazed it's legal. Actually... there are countries in Europe where it IS illegal to preach the supposed money-grabbing gospel of this cult. Therefore... in case you didn't gather... I LOOOOVE the site.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Sher said...

I LOVED the "Free Katie" website. I can't even begin to tell you how idiotic I think Tom Cruise and his whacko Scientology vitamin cures all theory is. Don't even get me started. LOL

I loved The Village as well. You hit the nail on the head about the movie. I won't say o=more because I'll end up giving it away myself.

Yeah, the whole Kelly Ripa thing was over the top. Who cares what the hell her body is like before, during , or after kids?????? I certainly don't.

{{{{Donna}}}}} I certainly hope that the rest of your year has more sunshine than rain. I'm here anytime you need a shoulder or an ear or both.

 
At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Love the Free Katie Website...too funny! I saw Tom on Oprah a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe what I was seeing! It was like watching a train wreck happen in slow motion. I couldn't stop watching, and yet I was so annoyed by his idiotic behaviour! What, is he 12?!
I'm starting to think that most celebrities are wack. Including Kelly.
Glad to hear you've made a decision about work, sounds like a good one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home