Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Sunday, June 26, 2005

What's In a Name

I tend to wait until I have written an entire entry in my head (and checked the Chicago Manual of Style) before writing anything down. Which is probably a mistake and causes my posts to be rather wordy. So I'm going to try to just jot things down when they come to me instead of making y'all wait for some perfectly manicured post with a through-line from clever title to end-sentence that wraps the whole thing up like a burrito.

When I started this blog I was in the middle of my IF struggle. So why didn't I choose a title that had anything to do with eggs or sperm or waiting or struggling or INFERTILITY?

Several reasons. I knew that there were going to be many posts that didn't have anything to do with that part of my life, or at least weren't the focus. All the really good metaphors and inside jokes were already taken by the Avatars of IF Blogs. And most telling of all, I didn't want to have to change the name later when the focus of my life changed from trying to have a baby. Was that defeatist or just lazy?

3 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

Well, I am not sure if it's defeatist or lazy...but I chose my title for the same reason...I didn't want to have to change it later on.
Woohoo..does this mean we will get more posts from you?
Hope you had a good weekend!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger JennaM said...

It was hopeful, I think, to imagine the future the way you wanted it to happen, which gives me a little lump in my throat... I find little vestiges of old hopes in unexpected places all the time (like the fabric scraps that I've been saving for my own baby quilt that stare at me every time I open my sewing box...). And hope is not defeatest, obviously, nor lazy. Hope ain't for sissies. It's the hardest thing now.

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hope ain't for sissies." Tooo true! I'll have to remember that one.

And I wish my own blog title weren't so fertility specific... at the time I had no idea what my blog was going to get into... I think it was smart of you to think ahead!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home