Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Hero Worship

I have nothing of real interest to report about my family visit. It was tough to keep them entertained. They are not the type of people who can just sit and relax, they have to have things booked for days in advance. We managed to cram in almost everything they wanted to do, including a day out on the jet skis on Monday. During a concentrated effort to dump my half-brother off the back of my ski I managed to whack my left knee something fierce against the running board. Ouch. It's swollen and bruised, but it was worth it to hear the roar of approval from the watching crowd up on the beach. Initiation is a bitch. He was sullen and dark and moody, and never lifted a finger to help with anything, but otherwise I have to say he wasn't as bad as I envisioned. I often paint things a darker shade than I need to.

When I was a little girl my Dad was my hero. It seemed to me that he knew a little bit about almost everything, and could fix or figure out how anything worked. He took hot baking dishes out of the oven without mitts (due to calloused hands from working at the saw mill). He could drive any kind of vehicle, find his way using just the angle of the sun and make a salad out of roots and berries from along the hiking trail. He knew every type of tree, bird, fish and flower in our world.

As he left yesterday I became aware of how many times over the previous few days I had become frustrated by his apparent lack of common sense. Little things. Like he can't figure out how to open a box of cereal without destroying the top of the box so it can't be closed again properly. Or he makes the coffee too strong every day because he can't or won't read the instructions on the bag about the coffee to water ratio. Or he tries to start one jet ski using the lanyard (key) for a different one. I realize he is getting older. I'm just not used to following my Dad around and putting the milk back in the fridge. I want my hero back.

I guess I should mention that I finally got my period on Monday, 16 days after my last Provera dosage. I'll take my first BCP on Sunday. I'm still in complete denial. It really hasn't hit me yet that from here on out I have absofuckinglutely no chance of getting pregnant. Although...the one and only time I was able to get pregnant was when I was on BCPs. Ah, the irony. That's a story for another day.

In honor of our 5th wedding anniversary, which was last Saturday, here are two of my favorite wedding pictures.


10 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger MC said...

Divine dress. Hope everything goes well for you. I hate BCP also.

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you survived the family visit, albeit a bit bruised.

GOREGOUS PICS -- I love that dress. And your hair color. You look very Julianne Moore.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Gorgeous pictures! Happy Anniversary!

I fear one of the things about being an adult that I hate is the knowledge that your parents aren't the perfect people you thought them to be. Whether it be new problems because of age, or just new realizations, the thought that your parents don't know anything and/or can't fix everything can be hard to bear. Especially when all we want is to have someone fix this problem of ours....

I see the bcp not as a bad thing, but evidence that you're progressing. It's a good thing to be moving on with treatment.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Donna! Happy anniversary. I'm so sorry about the period thing.

I totally understand where you're coming from w/your dad. My father has Alzheimer's and it's just heartbreaking to watch his decline. He was the one who helped me through all my major problems before he got sick.

anyway, I'm keeping up w/you as you can see. Take care. Judy

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Your pics are just gorgeous...

Glad your back and posting again... and that you survived your lil bro'...

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

You are a beautiful couple! Happy anniversary!
Glad that you survived the weekend, and that the Kid got a dunking! Was he pleased about that?!
Hang on to the memories of your father as your Hero, they will mean more to you later than the memories you have of putting the milk away after him.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Oh Donna...it's so hard to watch those we love get older. My mom is really deteriorating and I struggle to watch it happen. Just thinking about you today my friend. Thinking about you.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

These are wonderful pictures. You and your husband look fabulous! Happy anniversary!

So sorry about BCPs and your dad.

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger Sher said...

Happy Anniversary!! Your look gorgeous and your dress is just beautiful!

It's hard watching your parents get older. My parents are now starting to have health issues that I've always known were coming but they have always been so healthy that it is hard to see it happen.

I am sorry about the BCP. I've been off of them for years because of phlebitis problems that run in my family. Take care of yourself. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger chris said...

What a beautiful dress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home