Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Monday, July 11, 2005

Jagged Little Pill

I took my first BCP yesterday. So far so good, at least physically. A friend asked me today if this was part of a strategy of treatment and I had to admit I didn’t know. Am I just going to be on BCPs now forever? It sure seemed like it when my doc told me to call back when I was running out (he gave me two starter packs) and they would call in another Rx. So…this is it then? The decision has been made for me that it’s time to hang up the stirrups? I’m being told to take BCPs now because it’s the “best and easiest way” to deal with my suddenly perimenopausal cycles and symptoms. I know it will also help to starve whatever endo is still lurking or has formed since my lap in May 2004. Ergo, going off of it after some period of time would seem counter-productive. I just can’t wrap my brain around the fact that now I cannot get pregnant, no matter how perfect the timing might be, or the fact that my one remaining good egg decides it’s time to come floating down the chute, or my husband’s already stellar sperm has a particularly good day.

I was going to tell my long and sordid history with BCPs, as I alluded to in an earlier post, but I think I will leave that for a day in the near future.

Below is a picture from our 4th of July outing, this was taken just before the aforementioned dunking. Hubby is in the background, trying to get back up on his stand-up ski after a fall. He falls a lot. Which is why he wears a helmet. He looks really sexy in a X-games sort of way.


8 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Donna,
Feel free to ignore this assvice, but I think you should schedule an appt. with your RE to talk about the plan. You should know how long he thinks you should stay on the bcp's, what his rationale is, and what the next thing in line for getting you knocked up is. Knowing that it's all part of a plan might make it easier for you.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Donna. Does your re know you're still open to the possibility of getting pg? How bad are your cycles? Could you handle it if you weren't on bcp's? Just wondering. I hope you get some answers. take care-Judy

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I'm sorry about the BCP's. I think Mellie's point is a good one. It may be helpful to sit down with your doctor and discuss his long term plan for your treatment. I think you deserve a concrete answer.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I have an appt. on Thursday, he didn't get enough cells for the lab to test when he did my pap last time (duh), so he has to re-do it. I'll talk with him then. He told me before that he doesn't think I'm ovulating anymore, but he knows that I don't have any insurance so he didn't order the blood test to check my FSH again. He also said that unless we're willing to do DE or IVF that my chances are pretty much zero.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this turn of events, Donna...

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Female hormones, whether by nature or the damnable PILL, suck. They suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck.

And I'm sorry you are on the damn things.

But I do hope that it helps you and you don't have any freaky side effects.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Donna, you know that you and I are in the same situation.
I know DE is out of the question for me, but have you really, really decided that it is out of the question for you?
When I went off the pill, that's when my cycles became so irregular and I realized that I would have problems getting pregnant.
I suspect that the reason your doc has put you on BCP is to help put a sense of normalcy back in to your cycle. As soon as you go off it, you might have to deal with the unknowing again.
But! Maybe you should think about DE again. I know you don't have insurance, and it is costly, but perhaps it is one last thing to really consider before you throw in the towel for good.
You know I'd like nothing better than to hear of you beating the odds.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

ha...and you wanted me to go jet skiing with you guys. Now, I am too scared. :P
Yeah, what Ollie said. Hormones...I could write a book.
I hope at least that the bcp's aren't having too many bad side effects this time around.
Update us after your appt. Thursday. Damn paps!!!
((HUGS))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home