Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Metamorphosis

Recently Sher asked the question: Do you feel attractive? I'm not embarrassed to say that most of the time, I do. I will add the caveat that this is a fairly new phenomenon with me, slowly coming into frame since I met D. about 15 years ago. He has whittled down the self-loathing of my physical appearance so much that now it's almost (dare I say it?) self-esteem. Even in the face of infertility, my nemesis for the past 5 years, when I look in the mirror more often than not, I think - Damn! Not bad for a 41 year-old. Sure, I wish my nose were smaller and my boobs were bigger, I'm no narcissist, but overall I am happy with my looks. I still have a long ways to go about feeling good on the inside, but hey, it's a start. I was blessed with a small frame and a fast metabolism, relatively clear skin and proportioned features. I believe most people think I am attractive because I remind them of someone else, sort of a generic look (in a good way).

I know a lot of people have a thing about anonymity on the web, but I really don't have this issue. D. and I have a website where we post pictures of ourselves so our family and friends can keep up with our lives, and both he and I are members of online communities using our real names. The only person I really wouldn't want to find this blog is my Mother, and she doesn't even have a computer or even know what a blog is, so I think I'm safe.

I prefaced with all that because I am going to post a series of pictures of myself showing the metamorphosis from a caterpillar to the butterfly I am today. (I'm trying real hard here to be upbeat, I wanted some lightness on my blog after all the heaviness lately.) [Photos and captions removed.]

21 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I love your picture at 40! You really are pretty, Donna.

As for the other pictures, I can tell when they were taken just by looking at the hair styles. I had the same ones!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger MC said...

I love the picture of you at 40 as well. You look stunning. i love the transformation.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Cricket said...

I kept saying, "But she looks beautiful here, and here, and here...," having no idea how good you could look! Wow! You age better than wine.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

This was fun!
I had the same hideous haircut in Grade 8. You know the short one? The same one that Scott Baio had?

You are, a beautiful woman!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Lovely! I wouldn't DARE dig out my catepillar pictures. You look fabulous. :)

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, dahling. I have to admit that I laughed quite a bit at the picture that makes you "tear up a little" -- not at the "Scott Baio hair," but at the GLASSES! My God, they're like something out of Napoleon Dynamite!

You've done well since then, though. :)

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome that you shared that with us!

I think so many of us go through those awkward teen years......you were a gorgeous baby and now, a gorgeous woman.

I was cursed with thinking I looked good and only later did I see evidence of otherwise.

Your eyes are amazing!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

You're such a hottie, Donna!
haha, not bad for a 41 year old? Shit, that wouldn't be bad for a 25 year old.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger April said...

Absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful.

Tell yourself that every day, because it's true.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were ALWAYS beautiful, Donna. Really. The hair - it brings back memories! - Kym

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You look fantastic. I love your post - laughed out loud several times. I think your pink cat-eye glasses are COOL.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, Donna.... nothing shows me how close in age we are as those photos... chuckle... We went through the exact same phases at the exact same time. And I don't know about you... but my secret weapon for gravity-defying hair in rainy rainy Vancouver was Joi-Gel and I.C.E. Mist!

AND... had you not said that your high-school boyfriend was French... I would have SWORN we had the same boyfriend...

AND... at 40... you are one hot Tamale and look the best you ever have! You GO girl!

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely beautiful.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Very, very pretty, I particularly love the transformation in your eyes... they go from blank and withdrawn to sparkling and alive... it can take a long time (especially for people who have had some of the things we've lived through) to get to our true selves.

It took me years to be able to see that I am pretty... the thing that really kills me is my weight. I'm not fat, but definitely need to get some pounds off - and the thing that kills me is that I was at my normal weight for years and even then thought I was terribly fat. Now I realize, I'm not fat, I have curves! And gorgeous one's at that...! sigh... I know what you mean about being able to look in the mirror and really like what you see. I have the same 'not bad for 41' thoughts... so here's to fabulous older women. We -are- hotties!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger zhl said...

Wow, you're like aging in reverse. You look great.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so PURTY! And I love that you look so great. I too graduated in 1982 from High School, and I get so depressed when I see people looking like crap at my age. And I think "Is that what 41 (or 41 in my case) really looks like?"

Thank goodness you've proven that 41 does not look like "that" at all.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Sher said...

Donna you are beatiful!!! And geez, you don't look 40 in that last picture. I agree with another comment about your eyes. Your last pictures with your husband your eyes look more vibrant and alive.

I'll be 41 next month and so your pictures of the hairstyles really brought back memories. I graduated in 1982 as well!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I love your pictures, especially age 40! You look fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger erinberry said...

You are lovely! :)

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have gotten more gorgeous every year. wow.

 
At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.getipodsforfree.com has this cool thing where if you just sign up and do an offer, you can get a free ipod

 

Post a Comment

<< Home