Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Monday, October 17, 2005

Back to Life

I've been sick. Just a very bad cold, but bad enough to take me out of commission for a solid week. Bad enough to force the cancellation of a lucrative speaking engagement on the other side of the country. Bah. Cliches exist for a reason, and I'm here to tell you, if you've got your health, that's more than half the battle. Obviously I've had my share of dealing with my body failing me on the fertility front, but I cannot even imagine what it must be like to be battling a serious illness. All else falls to the wayside. Bills. Housework. Personal hygiene. Job. Blog.

I'm going back to work tomorrow, with my raspy cough and dripping nose, feeling 200% better than I did a few days ago. I finally went to the doctor on Thursday to rule out strep (negative). All this is mind-numbingly boring, so I will stop talking about my cold now.

Perhaps partly due to my reduced state of caring about anything, I'm less than excited to tell you that my Aunt has been found. Once I got the key piece of information to my family from the survivor's group of the institution, all it took was a couple of emails and a couple of phone calls. If anybody else cared half as much about this as I do, then maybe I would be more excited. I feel like I bullied them into finding her. I have a tiny bit of information, she is in poor health but still "feisty" according to her caregivers, and her location. I don't know if she has been told that her family was looking for her, or anything else. I've been told we can get her records from the institution, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about pushing to get them requested. Isn't that an invasion of privacy? I am curious in a morbid and angry sort of way, as I can't really imagine what life for a deaf and blind woman was like, let alone a life in an institution.

5 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn spammers... aren't they annoying.

Wow, Donna... I totally understand your uncertainty with respect to your Aunt... what a horrid horrid situation. But there must be some relief to know where she is now...

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better. It's a tough decision regarding your aunt. I guess I don't feel it's an invasion of her privacy - perhaps she'd be happy to know that someone found her. And maybe it's better that it's someone who didn't know about her - because she cannot be too happy or grateful to those who always knew of her existance but still never bothered to find her or visit her... I'm sorry you even have to think about what to do. -Kym

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Wow, that is a tough decision, but if closure is a goal, I'd suppose that the next step would be keep moving forward. (?) I agree with Kym, she probably would be relieved to exist to somebody.
Sorry you've been so sick! That sucks. Glad you're feeling a little better.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger chris said...

That's a tough situation; I can't say what I would do.

Take care of yourself.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a story with your aunt. I used to work with adults who are deaf and blind (I was a sign language interpreter in a previous life). I always had so much respect for them because I felt that I would probably lose my will to live under their circumstances and yet they were some of the most resilient people I ever knew. They taught me the meaning of the word "patience."
Good luck to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home