Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Constant Flower



























One of the ways I've heard to separate types of people is to say some are gardeners and some are flowers. I'm lucky in that my hubby is a gardener and I am a flower (usually, sometimes we switch). Not a fussy, high-maintenance flower like an orchid or a rose, more like a daisy or a chrysanthemum...just give me a little love and I'll continue to bloom for you year after year.

Right now, I'm feeling like someone forgot to fertilize me. (Ha! Sorry for that little Freudian slip there.) I'm that sad, pathetic plant left in a plastic pot outside who only gets water when it rains. Many people in my life are trying to provide comfort and kindness right now, I think I'm just not able to accept it. Several friends have gently suggested I go back to therapy, but I just.don't.want.to.talk.about.it.any.more. I sure as hell don't want to pay $100 an hour to sit there and tell someone else I don't want to talk about it. It's not just ending up childless, it's all the back story -- the sexual abuse, the mentally ill mother, blah blah, I've gone over this ground a million times, I'm not going to "get over it", any more than I am going to get over trying and failing to have a child.

That's the "f" word that everyone keeps telling me I shouldn't use. I failed, ladies and gentlemen, there's no way around it. My friends tell me that saying I failed connotates that it was my fault, which it certainly was not. Perhaps not in any provable way, but it was my body that failed to produce a viable egg that was then fertilized. The only job my reproductive system was designed to do. If it wasn't my organs, then it was my decision to wait until I was 38 to even begin the process.

I've already talked about how I am not sorry that we went down this road, and neither is D., and that's the truth. When we first got together, legitimately, it was after a 5 year struggle, a messy, precarious slope that we nearly slid off of many times. For the next 5 years we were so damn slap happy just to be together the thought of marriage or children or anything except US never entered either of our heads.

I love D. more every day, I know that sounds corny but it's true. That's why this failure is so crushing. I am so lucky. How do I restore some of those feelings from the halcyon US days?

11 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to toss that bit of spam sometime into next year... what an insult to read a bit of commercial tripe like that after reading such a heart-wrenching post.

Donna... although I haven't explored all my options yet... what you write sounds so amazingly familiar... it's the post I imagine writing next year sometime...

I wish I had something useful to say... but here's something I often tell myself... I won't EVER get over certain things in my life... and that's ok... it's not necessarily a bad thing to not get over it... but I DO learn to live with it... and for me... there's a very big difference between the two.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I guess all of our experiences make us what we are, good and bad. I don't have any answers or advice, so don't worry. The only thing I can think of, is that marriage is like friendship; you grow, together, and change, together. I sure don't have the same passion for the hub that I did 16 years ago, but we've accepted each other for who we are seperately and together, and its comfy (some of the time). I'm glad to hear you guys are so in love and have such a great relationship. You're luckier than most. :-)

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger MC said...

I can relate to this post. With another failed transfer under our belts I feel so lucky to have my husband. At the same time it makes it that much more painful as well not having kids. I hope that made sense.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what Manuela said - maybe learning to live with shit is the best way to deal with it. Because it can never be forgotten. I'm glad you have your wonderful husband. You two are both very lucky in at least that one aspect and I can't think of more deserving people. -Kym

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Hi Donna,

We really do have some things in common... my mother suffers from the narcissistic disorder as well... I appreciated reading that link on one of your posts.

I wish I could say I have time to read back to May 2004, but I don't right now... but I read a lot and I will definitely keep reading in the future.

I am so sorry you are dealing with infertility as we are. I know exactly what you are going through... feeling like a failure, feeling like you missed opportunities (not to mention the shots and the endless exams and wand monkeys who want to poke you the wrong the way... aaaarrrrgh!.) In may case, it was the 5 last good years of my fertility (from age 31-36) that I so, so foolishly gave to a man who did not appreciate me or understand me. I often think that I wish I could take them back, but then, I would not have met the husband I have now... so I have to believe that there is a reason for that.

I'll continue to post about our IF issues, as we are trying donor egg in October... I can't wait for the butt shots...

Seriously, thank you for reading all of my blog, I am touched.

I look forward to reading more of yours.

Take it easy.

p.s. your wedding photos are beautiful!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I guess I need to cut myself some slack, I have just started to learn to live with the fact that we will be a childless couple. And that's a biggie. I am most definitely the culmination of all my experiences, as we all are, and I too would not have met D. if I hadn't been married to my ex. As agnostic/atheist as I tend to be, there's gotta be some rhyme or reason to that. Coloratura, don't feel like you need to go all the way back, just start from here and go forward, that's what I'm trying to do.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna,

I can only imagine how hard this is. I don't know how I'd cope if we got to the same position. I think you know this, but it's important to allow yourself to be sad. Your friends may find this hard because they want you to be ok, but they're just going to have to handle it. You don't have to look after them right now.

 
At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is perfect and nice, we are offering pre ejaculation to learn more visit pre ejaculation or The Constant Flower http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html
pre ejaculation http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is perfect and nice, we are offering premature ejaculation treatment to learn more visit premature ejaculation treatment or The Constant Flower http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html
premature ejaculation treatment http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is perfect and nice, we are offering premature ejaculation to learn more visit premature ejaculation or The Constant Flower http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html
premature ejaculation http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is perfect and nice, we are offering female ejaculation to learn more visit female ejaculation or The Constant Flower http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html
female ejaculation http://www.manifestingpower.com/premature-ejaculation.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home