Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Friday, August 26, 2005

Meanwhile, in Amsterdam...

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands (Reuters) -- Billionaire television producer John de Mol, behind the pioneer show "Big Brother," will test the limits of reality TV with a program in which a woman searches for a potential sperm donor to conceive a child.

His new TV station Talpa, launched earlier this month, confirmed it will air a program called "I want your child ... and nothing else!" but gave no further details about the show due at 1830 GMT on Wednesday.

"The plan is that we visit potential donors and -- of course on camera -- decide which man is most suitable," the 30-year old woman who will feature in the program said in an interview with De Telegraaf newspaper. "Afterwards there will be artificial insemination," said the woman who was identified only as "Yessica" and who has bought a house with a room for a child.

The show is a one-off competing with four other reality TV programs, one of which follows five former prostitutes starting a cafe. The program receiving most votes from viewers on Saturday, after all the shows have aired, will be turned into a series.

De Telegraaf also published an email address for men wanting to donate sperm to Yessica.


Oy. I think I heard about this before but it seemed worth mentioning. Stay tuned for my picks of the best of the new Fall TV shows. Cuz I am all about the info.

5 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose it's just a logical extension from all the Bachelor/Bachelorette reality shows. But while Trista and Ryan left a saccarin Spenda taste in my mouth, this one has an acidic taste that makes me run for the Maalox, and I'll take it neat without the calcium - thank you.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Elisabeth, I couldn't agree more. Somehow I find this slightly less abhorrent than trying to find a husband/wife on a reality show, at least in the regular world there would be some anonymity involved. Unless you live in the UK of course.

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Sounds great. Because everyone knows that babies are really just "wonderful parting gifts for being such a great contestant." Unbelievable.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I have never watched a reality show (well, okay, blind date when I can't sleep). Those new ones just don't sound like something I'd like, either. But if I had to choose, I suppose the hooker cafe would not be on my menu.

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm... I guess if people are willing to get on TV to do something so personal then it's OK for them. I just hope that they do not regret it later. The biggest thing is I don't want to hear 10 years from now, "Baby from X reality show in 2006 is 10 years old today!" Poor kid. -Kym

 

Post a Comment

<< Home