Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Saturday, August 13, 2005

United Nations

Even in my little corner of the blogosphere, there seems to be a lot of intolerance and downright cruelty lately. Not to me, although I have had a few trolls in my time. I don’t think I’m big enough to warrant the kind of feedback and offline posting that some of the Cool Kids do, but no doubt there are those who have formed an opinion of me based solely on what they’ve read here. As I read other’s struggles, whether that be with infertility, other family issues, illness, financial or otherwise, I am thankful that there are those of us willing to put our lives out there and welcome the world to read about our angst and our joys. I’m not saying that every comment has to consist of “I couldn’t agree more” or “Good luck!” with a big sparkly dose of baby-dust on the side, I just believe we all need to think a little more before we hit that Post a Comment button sometimes.

It’s very easy to judge others, we do so every day. We base our opinions on our own experiences and belief systems, but we have no right to do this. Let me throw out some questions for you.

Would you:

** terminate a pregnancy?
** agree to selective reduction?
** use donor egg or sperm?
** use a surrogate?

Or, let’s broaden the discussion – would you:

** take a loved one off of life support?
** kill someone in self-defense?
** stay with your spouse after an affair?
** be able to cut off a limb in order to free yourself?
** consume victims of a plane crash in order to survive?
** harbor a fugitive?

There are a million more questions like this. All heart-breaking, life-changing, personal decisions. We all think we know what we would do in certain situations, we’ve formed opinions and even plans for events that may happen. In reality, until you are there, you can’t know what you will do or what you are even capable of. So, the answer to all of the above and every question like it is: I DON’T KNOW. Even if you’ve walked in someone else’s shoes, you still don’t have the right to judge them because they made a different decision than you did.

This post isn’t in response to anything in particular, just a feeling that I’ve been having lately. I’ve heard of several bloggers closing down or password protecting their sites, or closing off comments because they can’t bear to be hurt by the words of strangers any more. Sharing our personal stories is what this is all about. Disagreements in a healthy and civilized discussion forum are as helpful as positive feedback, but there is no excuse for hate-speak.

13 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Foxxy One said...

As someone who has been suffering with a few stupid trolls lately... Amen!

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY. It couldn't have been said better. Great post, Donna.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger chris said...

Sometimes I wonder where these people get the time to harass others, and then I remember that they have no friends.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

Duuuude...great post.
I kind of think that it's just 'human' to be a little judgemental..but it's also human to try and use your brain and know when to shut your damn pie-hole.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

Ohh...and I hope it wasn't me that said something. :( Because sometimes I know I need to shut my pie hole.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger MC said...

Well said. I totally agree we don't know how we would react or what we would do, yet we feel free to tell other people.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

Being honest can change someone's life. If I didn't meet women who were open about the hurt and regret they felt after having an abortion - and the healing that is available - I would never have started to deal with the termination I had five years ago at age 23. I am scared of judgement but I want to help others like I was helped. It decreases the sense of isolation.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger JennaM said...

Spot on.

Humility is an endangered species in these parts.

And honestly, it feels better to try to understand and sympathize than it feels to react and judge. Takes a lot of pressure off to listen instead of tell-tell-telling all the damn time.

Thanks, Donna

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I answered "yes" to all of the above. What does that mean?

Some people that read vulnerable and honest blogs forget that they are reading a gift from the author.

Amen.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Like Julianna, when I read your post I answered yes to all of the above. But then I read your line about the true answer being "I don't know" and realized how correct you are. Imagining being in a situation is never the same as experiencing it.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Donna... it needed to be said.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

I couldn't agree more Donna ... where do I find the babydust to sprinkle??? Seriously, excellent post. I have learned so much from being able to read the honest feelings of fellow bloggers, and it has inspired me to remain honest in my posting. It's been very healing. Thanks for giving me more to think about.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

You are dead on. I think it is natural to judge but cruelty and meanness is never warranted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home