Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Beyond Belief

I find it interesting that the further I stray from infertility- or baby-related topics, the fewer comments I get. I hope this isn't a trend. To further test this theory, this post is about movies.

The other day I watched Beyond Borders starring Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen. If you look at the poster you'll see the tag line is "Where hope survives." While this is meant to be both mysterious and intriguing, its actually prophetic. [If you haven't seen this movie and you plan on it, I suggest you stop reading, spoiler alert.] You see, hope survives in the form of a child. A child that is conceived on the ONE NIGHT that the two main characters spend together before one of them dies. This is the same thing that ruined Cold Mountain for me. I realize it helps to put salve on the wound that is inflicted on us when one of the beloved main characters doesn't survive to the credits, but does anyone really believe this is the way things work? Even in times of war? Or am I just bitter and can't suspend my hard-earned reproductive knowledge for the two hours required to watch a movie?

Otherwise, I thought they were both decent movies. There is an especially poignant moment in Borders where Angelina's character is driving through the Ethiopian desert on a truck bringing food supplies to a refugee camp when she spots a baby sitting by itself in the sand being approached by a vulture. She demands the truck stop so she can shoo the bird away and scoops the child up in her arms, saving its life. Spending time in the camps in Cambodia and Ethiopia during the filming of this movie obviously had such a profound effect on her that she adopted children from both countries in real life. You gotta respect that.

And, let's face it, you can't go far wrong with Jude Law and Clive Owen on screen.


13 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

As an infertile, I can't believe that Hollywood is constantly dumping this nonsense on the public. It is so far-fetched. One night . . . really, what are the chances.

I saw Cold Mountain and you're right, Jude Law is well worth the price of admission. (I even checked out I Heart Huckabees and Alfie to see him again). I haven't seen Beyond Borders. Maybe I'll check it out.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While i realize this scenario is not impossible, the frequency with which it happens in hollywood certainly perpetuates misinformation about fertility.

I've got to say as hot as Jude Law is, I have been influenced by the fact that he divorced his wife with three very young children, and now has been caught schtupping the nanny. It reduces his sex appeal.

I get a lot less hits now that I am not trying to conceive anymore. I started out as an infertility blog, and I guess I still am, but nothing ever new happens at my site.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get so sick of that damnable recurrent plot. And never once do we see them prop their asses on a pillow. Insanity. I expect the same theme on Six Feet Under any day now.

But YUM YUM Clive Owen.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger chris said...

Thanks for ruining those movies for me!

Just kidding. I wasn't going to see either of them. Have to agree on the Angelina thing--how could old Jennifer compete? In all seriousness, it sounds like their marriage had been over for a while and if not, who really cares. Stuff happens.

Take care.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I agree, those movie conceptions are a little out there. I mean, c'mon.
But, mmmmmmmmmm Clive. ::sigh::

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

Wow. I get to use my favorite word once again.
It's BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Oooohh, movies!! A subject I like to talk about almost as much as infertility!

I have to tell you, I think Angelina Jolie is a bit nutty, but I have gained so much respect for her these last couple of years. Apparently, Beyond Borders was the impetus for her UN goodwill ambassadorship. I've read that she gives a good deal of her money away to these charities. I've also read that she doesn't want to have biological children...she just wants to continue to adopt (oops...I slipped back into TTC mode, sorry.)

Back to Jude Law and Clive Owen - HOT!! Too bad Jude can't keep it in his pants.

As for other movies - Did you see the Wedding Crashers? I really loved it. Can always use a good, tasteless, laugh now and then.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Rooshie said...

Jude Law is incredibly hot in Cold Mountain, but the whole conception thing kills it for me. I mean COME ON! Drives me crazy.

Haven't seen the other one, but it sounds good. But like it would be pretty emotionally wrenching. Anything with kids suffering gets me.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neither Jude nor Clive do it for me but you're hardly surprised! Sigh. I will definitely agree that Hollywood plain out sucks but that's what the masses want, right? If it will get them more ticket sales, what do they care about plausibility or the thoughts of infertile women? Hell, even Lifetime can't get it right. Double Sigh.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OUCH!!! I just zapped my tongue from licking the screen.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger JennaM said...

It's not just a non-infertility post that seems to get less attention; the not-currently-cycling infertility post is also unpopular. It's the car-wreck thing...people have more interest in suspense than analysis--wish I understood that. It's not really my bag. I'd rather analyze movies.

First, I must offer this: my partner has a 19-year-old as a result of a drunken one-night-stand when he was 20... it certainly happens (and the lovely mother was pushing 30, so it wasn't the teenaged eggs). Hollywood just wants us to believe that one-night pregnancy happens in some meaningful, aesthetically interesting way. In fact, most one-night-stand pregnancies are totally banal, bordering on depressing, and only foreshadow more banal and depressing things to come!

Finally, Clive. He STOLE "Closer"; I don't care how many people thought that was Julia's movie. LOVE him, and so will have to tolerate Angelina's lips and see the flick (although I cannot tolerate Renee's lips, and will therefore NOT be renting "Cold Mountain").

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

I just watched the Aviator and not only did I shockingly think Leonardo was hot but Jude Law was ugly, ugly!

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Donna, ALL of your posts are interesting! I really like the way you write, and how you bring your points across. I always look forward to visiting you.
I find JL a bit creepy actually, but then I find Nicholas Cage hot (and probably most people would say he's not!)
Angelina Jolie certainly has the money to be adopting children from every third world country she shoots movies in. I think her heart is in the right place, but I'm wondering if this will turn into the newest Hollywood fad.
I heard Oprah is thinking about adopting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home