Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Mountain Climbing

It’s been a while since I’ve been this depressed. A year, in fact. This is my annual trip into the depths, a self-deprecating pool of shame and guilt that marks what would have been the impending due date of the pregnancy I terminated all those years ago. This year it’s even more gut-wrenching and hollow, knowing as I do that for sure, for sure, that was my one shot at it.

I’m sure because we’ve decided I should stay on the Pill. I think this is the only way that I am going to be able to get past this rough patch. The best that I can hope for is to be happy with the life I’ve got (which is pretty damn good). How can I be happy with my life while I am trying desperately to change it, fundamentally and irrevocably? If I continue to leave the nursery door open, even a crack, I’ll eventually want to open it wider and wider, while reality is pushing to close it. I don’t want this struggle in my life any more. I haven’t been a good wife, sister, daughter, friend, or even employee for quite a while now. As Jenna so nailed it in her comment, I have a lot of life to fill and I don’t want to waste the next 10 years waiting for a train that’s never coming.

Am I sad? Do I feel like a failure? Yes, and yes. This will be a process, with ground gained and slips back, but I have a support system that will allow me to do this, I’m safely bound on this slippery slope by many ropes.

When I questioned my husband whether it would have been better not to have gone down this road at all, he disagreed, saying we are both better people for it, and have a stronger relationship. Whatever my faults, I must have done something right at some point to deserve to have this man in my life.

I mentioned immortality in my last post. I realized later how grandiose that sounded. How many people on this earth actually achieve immortality? How many have it for all the wrong reasons? I have good works still in me, perhaps even a novel or two, and many opportunities left to make a difference. As I thought about this I felt a tectonic shift in my thinking about my husband’s son. Up until now his very name would knot my stomach and overwhelm me with sadness. Now I realize that even though I might never meet him, the fact that he exists means that my husband’s genes will live on for at least one more generation. And that means more to me than I can express.

Here's a song for all of us still trying to find where our soul and our home is.
Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird (acoustic)

P.S. This is not the end of my story, or my blog, not by a long shot.

8 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

Donna, I wish there was something I could say or do right now to make things even a little easier for you. And don't kid yourself, you have been a great friend.
I honestly think that the decision that you made was the right one. I know it was a hard decision, but hopefully, it will get easier with time. I also think that D. was right...as shitty as it has been, you are stronger people for it.
Love ya!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Rooshie said...

Donna-

I know this has been a hard decision to make, I've been hoping you would find the right answer for you. Sounds like you've done some real soul searching, and I'm so glad to hear that you are seeing some positives and looking forward to the future. You write so well, I'm looking forward to those novels...

Take care--

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger chris said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope that in the months to come, you have much happier days.

And I'm glad it's not the end of your blog.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I, too, am sorry you have had such a tough road. I am glad that you have found a comfortable spot that feels right to you and your husband. Here's to living your lives, and enjoying the upcoming chapters. Now go write the next great american novel! Or two!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I know that things are very difficult right now but I really hope that you find much happiness in this stage of your life.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Donna dear, You deserve major congratulations for making such a big decision. Choosing can be so difficult and you've obviously put much thought into it. I wish you only peace with the outcome. And you are right when you quote Jenna as saying there is much life left to be lived. Go on now and take on the world!

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna... I'm so sorry you are going through such a rough time right now... and like everyone else... I so wish there were something I could say or do to make it more manageable...

I take solace in the fact that you have such a wonderful relationship... and that you have the support you need to make it to the next step...

Thinking of you...

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Hi, Donna. Coming out of my cave to say "hello" and let you know I'm thinking of you. As usual, you so elequently describe what my heart is feeling. You do have a wonderful, strong relationship with your dh, and that is a gift that most women with children do not have.

BTW, this past weekend was quite rough for me, too. August 21st marks one year since I had to terminate my pregnancy as well.

Luv ya, Sweetie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home