Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Reality Bites

I recently finished having a "deep cleaning" done in my too-small-for-dental-instruments mouth. The technical term is "scaling and root planing", or as I call it "Medieval Torture involving Pointy Things in Your Mouth for Two Hours without Anesthetic".

They want me on a 3-month periodontal maintenance plan. Every 3 months I have to have this done? WTF? She said I have a lot of bleeding in my mouth. Um, bitch, that's because you just scraped and poked at my gums for two hours.

She also said that periodontal disease (disease?? I have a disease now?) is a sign of osteoporosis and I should be taking steps to keep that under control. Yippee. Is this another perimenopausal thing? I've been doing a little research and found out that Clomid (and other fertility drugs) can cause periodontitis, which is the worst kind of gum disease, which I am rapidly moving toward. Great! And, that fertility patients with periodontitis have lower success rates. The classic revolving door.

“The ultimate result of our study is that ‘the drugs used for infertility management may cause and/or worsen gingival problems,'" says Dr. Haytac. "The other statement – poor oral health can negatively affect fertility – is just a suggestion, but it is a very reasonable suggestion. Periodontal diseases are infectious in nature and lead to systemic release of highly pathogenic microorganisms and/or their products.”

I guess that makes sense, if your body is constantly fighting an infection it can’t very well be a comfy place for an embryo, now can it?

This particular dentist (new) is also freaking out about my bottom front tooth because of "bone loss" because of the periodontal disease and says I will need a bone graft so I don't lose the tooth. A BONE GRAFT. Can you say ca-ching? $$$$ Bad teeth are a family trait, this is nothing new, but despite having many different types of procedures done, I am still phobic as hell.

Just thinking about having an upcoming appointment, no matter how far in the future, can send me into a panic. I have two old silver crowns that need to be replaced as well. All of this is going to have to wait until we get back from Hawaii. That’s right folks, we are going on a real vacation. Next month. I’ll keep you posted.

I really need something good to look forward to. Besides being anxious about my teeth (again, or still), I’m depressed. I don't know how to be a person who isn't trying to have a baby. What am I supposed to replace that with that even comes close to being in the same league? The end of my fertility struggle is no less than the end of my quest for immortality.

I'm still having night sweats and endo pain, even on BCPs, although my period has been lighter and on time. I've already wasted six months since our last injectibles cycle failed, and I'm still in the same place, only now add in BCPs just to liven up the party. I feel stuck. I'm scared to get pregnant with my own eggs and would only consider IVF with PGD as a possible safe alternative. But, we have no money and no insurance to do IVF, and its not even on the list of things that we agreed we would try. Adoption is still an alternative but the whole reason both D. and I were willing to go through all this was to have OUR baby. If that makes us selfish, guilty as charged. So I need to just buck up and realize that its never going to happen. But how do I do that??

I can now be around pregnant women and babies and not feel sad or angry, sometimes I even think, "Boy, I'm glad that's not me", I don't know if that's healthy or not. Like Rooshie said, I miss the high of having hope every month, even though I know the disappointment crash at the end of the month will be there. My world is flat and gray. Sorry for being melodramatic, I can't explain it any better than that.

8 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Hi, Donna. Sorry about the dental crap. First I heard of it affecting fertility, though. As for the "missing TTC", thing, I think that's one reason why I can't give up. I don't think I will ever be able to give up, even we end up going the DE or adoption route. It just seems so final and I am scared to death of that.

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

I am off the clomid this cycle and am terrified of TTC. I just have a feeling that I am never going to get pregnant. I can't shake it.
I hate the dentist as well. I shoukd have gone for a check up a few month's ago.

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow -- thanks for the link on oral health and infertility. How 'bout that?

Sorry about that bone graft, dude. Though at least they use anesthetic for that -- it was actually less horrible than your "scaling and planing" sounded. Make sure that they use Grade A Sirloin cow bone. :)

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Donna! How exciting that you and DH are heading to Hawaii for a much deserved holiday! That is definitely something to look forward to. Much more fun than dental surgery, too!

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

The dental thing sounds awful. Hmm, one more side effect of IF tx - great!

I can totally relate to your feelings about adoption. I often feel selfish for not considering it more seriously but I really want our own baby.

I know this vacation will do you a world of good. I hope you are able to really enjoy it!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Wow...I never knew about the link between clomid and periodontal problems. I've been put on a 6 month schedule with my dentist and now that I think of it, never even mentioned that I was on clomid! Might have been because the dental hygienist treating me was 7 months pregnant and I had to rest my head against her belly so she could get into my mouth to scale...hmmmm....never occurred to me to discuss it with her.

Hawaii sounds perfect. You deserve a good solid break!

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a dental hygienist in a periodontal practice and we would never perform scaling and root planing without anesthesia - NEVER. You poor thing!

There is a link to periodontal disease and heart disease. I did get a bit of gingivitis with all of my IVFs and the raging hormones, just as it can be normal to have gums that bleed a bit when one is menstruating. Overall though, I find that periodontal disease is very common and very treatable and people tend to correlate a lot of medical ails with gum disease. I blame shotty dental work for a lot of bone loss. You wouldn't believe the people who come into our periodontal practice and have been seeing their dentist regularly and basically they were under supervised neglect. True, that some people just don't go to the dentist for years and then once they do, they have major problems. Bottom line, if you see bleeding, clean it better than ever. Healthy gums don't bleed. Bone loss leads to tooth loss but it doesn't have to be so traumatic anymore to get the bacteria out of the pockets. Hell, we use Halcion a lot and patients LOVE coming to our office.

Infertility just sucks and I am sorry you are having to go through everything. If my FET doesn't work, I will be at the end of my rope and will have to also come to terms with everything that that entails.

Thinking of you.

Take care.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger JennaM said...

My teeth depress me too. And the various spots of tendonitis and the wiry gray hairs that won't blend in, and the inability to have more than two drinks without needing a week of recuperation from it. These things, like our infertility, do smack hard of mortality. There is no real consolation, although I imagine if there were, it would be in Hawaii.

Do what makes you feel as young as you really are and as excited as you deserve to be for the next fifty years of life. You've got a lot of years left to fill, girlie. With or without babies of any pedigree/dna, you CAN find fulfillment.

Drink a Mai Tai for me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home