Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Down Came the Rain

Our computer crashed at home, otherwise I would have posted sooner. I am very depressed, I feel the same way I felt after 9/11. A great tragedy has occured in the country where I live, but far enough away that I am not touched by it in my daily life. I go about my business, going to work, shopping, working out, maybe even a movie. All the while suffering and heartache and devastation rule an entire region on the other side of the country. And there is very little that I can do to help.

But it's not just the Gulf Coast. There is famine in Niger and surrounding West African countries, gang violence in Guatemala, massive flooding from rainstorms in Central China and hundreds of thousands of people still reeling from the tsunami in Southeast Asia. I realize there has always been and always will be somewhere in the world where people are starving, homeless, dying of preventable diseases and persecuted. I am extremely fortunate to have been born after the last World War and have not lost anyone in my inner circle to current military actions.

We have all seen selfless heroism and selfish criminality in the same block, the extremes of human nature on display. Most of the media has been concentrating on how long it took for the relief efforts to begin and the failures of beaurocracy. Since I have no personal knowledge or experience with disaster relief and were not there, I have tried to keep an open mind. It's been difficult to be a cheerleader for FEMA when the Times Picayune newspaper in New Orleans called for all of it's top officials to be fired in an open letter to President Bush.

Despite all of our faults, human and otherwise, in order to survive as a country, a community and a culture, we need to stop blaming and just get the job done. Maybe for me, that means making as big a donation as I can and just getting on with the living of my life. If you know of a way to do that and not feel guilty, let me know.

4 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

I think a lot of us are feeling the same way. It's just horrible.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Although I get a bit defensive when it comes to Feds, I have tried to keep an open mind. There's plenty of blame to go around, no doubt. I keep looking for my Newsweek in the mail b/c they're ususally pretty good at answering my questions like: Why wasn't there food/water/portapotties waiting at the Superdome? Why weren't the evacuees told to bring food, water, meds, diapers, formula, etc. Who was in charge? State, local, fed gov't? (I'm thinking no one with all the finger pointing going on.) Why did it take so long for the busses to to get there? Why on earth wasn't more money/attention put on those damn levees? And above all, just why?

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, you've written a post that echoes in the inner sanctum of my mind. I too am depressed by life in general, by its randomness, its precariousness and its irrationality. Being agnostic I still hold out some hope that there is a divine entity or force but the overwhelming evidence is against this hope. This depresses me more because deep inside me, I still want to believe that there is a "plan", a purpose to our existence and that we are not just a freak act of nature.

Then again maybe I'm just depressed because just days after my 5th anniversary and 2 months after the birth of my longed for baby, hubby and I are discussing calling it quits. Just like that. An act as random as the Katrina!!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Elisabeth, in case you come back to check, I am so very sorry to hear this news. I'm here if you need a shoulder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home