Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Paying It Forward

Earlier this year I was sent a Gonal-F multidose pen by a wonderful woman I met on an IF board. We've never met and never spoken on the phone, but when she heard we were struggling to pay for our injectibles cycles because we didn't have insurance, she didn't hesitate to offer her extra drugs. (T.R., if you're reading this, you rock.)

As part of my sputtering attempt to move forward and feel good about my life despite the sometimes crushing weight of failure, I've been wanting to get rid of all my fertility gear. Last week a fellow blogger was lamenting the awful ambiguity of Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPKs) and I offered my Fertility Monitor, in my estimation a much better way to track those precious eggs' movements.

Today I packed up the monitor (which I named Bert for some reason), half a dozen test sticks for it, a digital thermometer, a handful of vials of Pre-Seed, a stack of disposable alcohol wipes (for cleaning injection sites) and the lone pregnancy test I had left in the house. I'm still waiting to feel better; perhaps this is a delayed reaction, like muscle pain after a workout.

If you haven't seen the movie, its worth the rental. Haley Joel Osment will break your heart.


15 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

You rock! I love the "pay it forward" concept. I think that fertility monitor will do someone out there a lot of good.

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger MC said...

That was a really nice thing to do. I like the idea of clearing away everything.

 
At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that's awesome of you. I think you will feel better - eventually. (((hugs))) -Kym

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Foxxy One said...

You are the bomb baby! What a great thing for you to do.

My last cycle was cancelled about 1/2 way through and I had a ton of meds left over. I was very blessed, my insurance covered 100% of my meds so i put a post on FF (in our local board) that I had Gonal F & Repronex and a ton of sharps, wipes, sharps box, etc. The only request I had was that the person who was taking the meds cannot have insurance coverage for it. I wanted the meds to go to someone who would have had to pay (oh, and get their doc's permission too).

The woman I gave the drugs to was struggling to pay for her cycle and the meds were really going to put a financial hurting on her and her husband. I was so thrilled to help. I told her to make sure she got knocked up on my drugs. I never heard back from her (which makes me think that she didn't get pregnant).

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a wonderful movie! Wouldn't it be nice if your fertility monitor brings the recipient good luck.

I hope you are feeling better.

Take care.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

It's a great film.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger P. said...

Paying it forward is a wonderful concept. You are such a kind and caring person. I hope that clearing things out helps to bring you a little peace.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger April said...

That was such an incredibly gracious thing to do.

Pay it forward indeed.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWWW!!! How sweet you are! And somehow... your forwarding of infertility gear seems much more meaningful than my current attempt at passing on some of my footwear!

Go figure.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger JennaM said...

I'm inspired, Donna. Stuff I have to get rid of: a few half bottles of Robitussin, three or four obnoxious fertility books, several acupuncturist business cards, a "fertility goddess" pin given to me by one of my SILs, and about a gross of folic acid. Oh yeah, and a lot of residual anger and resentment. Do I need bubble wrap for that?

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Xtine said...

D- thanks for posting on my blog. No spoilers for the DM concert. Let me know what you think but dont give me specifics. I want to be surprised.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Sher said...

Donna you have a heart of gold! I am in the process of sorting these things out myself and moving forward. Thanks for your shoulder and your kindness.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Thanks for all the kind words. Jenna, if there was a way to get rid of all my anger and resentment, I sure as hell wouldn't send it Elle! I do have a couple other candidates though. If only they made envelopes big enough.

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a really generous thing to do. I am sure it couldn't have been easy and I'm sure it was appreciated.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

You are a generous woman, and I sincerely hope that you will start feeling better soon. There is good Karma all around you!
You've inspired me to get rid of all the gear I've got lying around here too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home