Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Monday, September 12, 2005

Countdown

It's only 5 days until we leave on vacation. D. and I are going to the Big Island of Hawaii for a week with our best friends, none of us have ever been to any of the Hawaiian islands. Go figure! We rented a house in a macadamia nut grove outside of Kona, and will be staying in Hilo one night after what promises to be an arduous but beautiful hike on the lava fields of Kilauea, the world's most active volcano. Other than this one scheduled trip we have nothing planned, although we do plan on snorkeling several times. Anybody have any absolute do's and don'ts to pass along? I've already been told to buy Hawaiian souvenirs at Walmart and to be sure to visit Ken's House of Pancakes on the trip between Kona and Hilo or vice versa.



















Saw The Constant Gardener last night. Having just finished the book it felt like I had already seen the movie, but its well done and quite moving, shot on location in Kenya (although according to the credits, somewhere in Manitoba substituted for London). A solid B+.

9 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger MC said...

I'm so jealous, we really need a holiday togehter, but doesn't look like we can until next year. Sounds like a great holiday,not too much planned, there the ones I like the best.

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful... I hope we'll get to see lots of pics...

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

You forgot to warn people, Donna.
The camera work in the movie is a bit...umm...shaky. It can have 'The Blair Witch' effect, if you know what I mean.
I hope you guys have a wonderful wonderful time in Hawaii!
MMMMMMMMMMMMM Pancakes!!!

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I hope you have a wonderful vacation, it looks so beautiful, and not many plans sounds relaxing! Enjoy yourself, and each other, and post lots of pics when you return!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

I think you've made us ALL jealous! Have a fabulous time. I can't wait to see the pictures!

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha,
I am living on the Big Island...up the hill from the Kona Airport. I hope you really enjoy your trip here. Please make a visit to Kealakekua (The Place of refuge) I is an awesome place to see and there are some great snorkel sites in that area with lots of sea turtles. Any other questions please e mail me

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks SO BEAUTIFUL! I hope you have the best time.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I've never been to Hawaii, so no tips here. Have a great trip! It looks absolutely awesome!!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Donna said...

I thought we were the last 4 people in the world who hadn't been to Hawaii, guess not. Puailima, thanks for the comment, we do plan on going to the Place of Refuge to snorkel. I love turtles!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home