Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Sunday, October 09, 2005

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Sometimes the unfairness and cruelty of the world is too much to bear. And I'm not talking about this or this or even this (warning, this last link will break your heart).

Recently I've had three friends contact me with very bad news.

First, two of the therapy dogs that visit either a homeless family shelter or a retirement home with me and my dog have been diagnosed with cancer. Sydney the gentle Rottweiler has bone cancer and had to have one of her hind legs amputated, she's on chemo and is making good progress, but isn't out of the woods yet. Kozmo the lovable Bernese Mountain Dog has terminal liver cancer and had to resign from the organization. I'll never see him again. Yesterday I went to the shelter and it just wasn't the same without him.

Then, a couple days ago one of our closest friends told us he had been mugged on the streets of San Francisco by three thugs. He suffered a broken nose, several broken bones in the various bone groups around his right eye and cheek, as well as some relatively permanent nerve damage which has caused numbness in the right side of his face; surgery is scheduled for this week. For all that they got a valise that didn't even include his wallet or a laptop.

So let me get this straight: 1. vicious dogs that attack people are fine but therapy dogs get cancer and 2. sweet men without a violent bone in their body get several of them broken while walking home from work? Something isn't right.

10 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger MC said...

Sometimes it just gets all too much. I have to avoid the news and hide away. I hate it when things like that happen to good people and animals.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Ditto mc. You know how I feel about "fair". I'm sorry about your friend, and of course the dogs. Makes me so sad.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger chris said...

Don't even get me started on the Tom Cruise thing. The thing I really hate about Katie Holmes is the smug way she looks at the camera, like she's not on the express train to Crazyville.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Britney Spears giving birth was the one that got to me... how can that actually be true?!?!

where did the attack in SF take place and what time of day? so that I can avoid that area in the future... yikes! I hope your friend will be okay...

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

It's shit like that that the word 'BULLSHIT' was designed for.
I don't understand how such things can happen in what is considered a civilized world. It makes no sense.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Oh crap Donna....that just really is unfair. I'm so sorry.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh... just... ugh.

I'm soo sorry...

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Broke my heart, indeed. Now with this latest tragedy in India and Pakistan, I feel like the sky should be crying.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Paul said...

As a rare refreshing counterpoint, Pete, my sister's then boyfriend, was told by a would-be mugger to hand over his wallet on a street in Philadelphia.

Pete, a guy of somewhat better than average build, couldn't help but notice the mugger wasn't threatening him with any weapon. So after pretending to reach down for his wallet, he decked the aspiring mugger with a single uppercut and left him lying there apparently unconscious!

Bad things do happen to bad people!

 
At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nette Seite... Werde einen Link auf meiner Webseite (rottweiler german shepherd mix) setzen. Viele GrĂ¼sse und weiter so!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home