Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Monday, September 26, 2005

Back from Paradise

Back at home and happy to see my doggies and not be sweating 24/7. We really lucked out with the weather, they had some severe thunderstorms on other islands and there was even a fatal sight-seeing helicopter crash because the pilot decided to go up even though it was raining heavily.

Overall it was a great trip, we did pretty much everything we wanted to do and even managed to throw in some relaxation time. However, I have a knack for getting hurt on vacation, and this one was no different.

Our first full day we went snorkeling. I cut my left knee on some coral and whacked my left big toe as well. The nail is now purple on the way to black and I'm sure I will lose it. We kayaked across a bay to get to the good snorkeling area and on the way back I didn't put more sunscreen on my legs. By the time we got back to the car (30 minutes or so), my legs were extremely burned. I could actually feel them burning, like an egg frying. I wanted to cut off my legs and be done with it. So the rest of the trip I was dealing with that. The burn gel you can buy there has lidocaine in it but it wasn't even touching it. I saved the good stuff I had bought in Mexico (with novacaine) for the following day when we did the l-o-n-g hike on the lava beds, with jeans on. By the time we finished the hike I had pretty much lost the will to live. Well, almost. It got better day by day and I thought I was out of the woods and was gonna save some of my tan, but alas that was not meant to be. After a day on the beach on Saturday I got water blisters, then I started to peel, from the top of my feet to the tips of my ears. Sigh. Its not pretty.

Once I get the pics off the laptop and on here I'll post a link.

10 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger MC said...

I remember being sunburned like that when I was a kid. Now I cover up and remain pasty white in summer.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Ouch, ouch and ouch! I hate getting sunburned! I'll look forward to your picks... oh snorkeling... I'll have to write about the time I snorkeled in HI at some point... 'twas dreamy...

Welcome back!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

I meant 'pics' as in photographs... :P

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Welcome Back, Donna! Glad you had a good time - sorry about the burns and cuts, though.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Youch! Sounds painful!
Looking forward to seeing your photos...

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger April said...

Welcome back! So glad to see that you enjoyed your trip (or at least most of it...)

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

Welcome back! I am sorry about the burn and the knee, but glad you had a nice time otherwise.
It always seems that vacations are sooooo tiring.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Oooh - I hate that painful feeling and then I always feel so stupid for letting it happen in the first place! I'm glad you were still able to make it a great trip with some r & r time.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger P. said...

Sounds like the vacation was fun! Sorry about the sunburn - OUCH!

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Hawaii has never sounded less appealing... chuckle...

Looking forward to the pics...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home