Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Chemically Speaking

This is completely random but I cannot believe that I did not know this until the other day...

"Chemical castration" means injecting male pedophiles with Depo-Provera (or sometimes Lupron).

I just found this astounding, that I had never heard of this drug used in this way. Creepy.

Thank you for all your comments about my Aunt and that whole situation. I have the phone number for her care-giver but haven't called it yet. I want to talk to my Dad first to find out some more information. How does one go about establishing a relationship with someone who can't speak, hear or see? I want to find out how she communicates with others and how much she understands about the world. I want to write her a letter that could be translated into Braille (does she read Braille?) or at least palm-signed to her, but I don't know what to include or exclude. Does she know enough about the world to understand California? The next time I go home I will make every effort to meet her, that I know.

To be fair to the rest of my family, I don't have a good sense of who visited her or how often, other than my grandmother. I've known of her existence since my mid-teens, and it wasn't until now that I felt compelled to know her, so don't think of me as some saint.

I'm still fighting this cold and I'm damned tired of it. It's making me depressed. I'm still waiting to hear back about the job I interviewed for three weeks ago, while my horoscopes keep telling me that big changes are about to come, so I am trying to be patient. Meanwhile, I feel like crap.

5 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Euugh, that is creepy. Nice to know that stuff they dole out to women so haphazardly is strong enough to suppress a psychologically-based sexual impulse in male pedophiles. Another big kudo for the gynecological world. No wonder it causes so many side effects.

I do hope the cold goes away very soon. I hate that you are feeling so crummy.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

I think taking an interest at any time is what matters. Don't beat yourself up over that. I will be so curious to see how this story progresses.
Shit, I didn't know that about depo either. I guess what they say is right. You learn something new every day.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Though she can't see or hear, I bet she can still feel as much as anyone else and hearing from you will probably mean a lot to her.

I think it's great you're getting in touch with her... there are too many lonely people in the world.

And yes, I too have wondered about all these fertility drugs I've pumped into my body... and will soon be pumping again...

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EEEEWWWWW... that is just disturbing for some reason. Shudder.


Regarding your Aunt... if you decide to make contact... I'm sure you will find a way to communicate... just your presence will be a powerful form of communication in itself.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

I'm thinking that your Aunt has likely had a way of communicating with her care-givers. When the time is right for you, you'll know how to communicate with her and her care-givers. I think it's really great that you've taken an interest in her, and am curious to see how this story unravels.

I, personally, am an advocate of physical castration. If men knew that this would be their punishment, perhaps they'd leave the kids alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home