Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Death in the Family

Ever since I heard the news I've been trying to process and digest, and I'm just now at a place where I can even begin to write it down in this forum.

One of my brothers was killed in a car accident last Saturday morning, in Pennsylvania. He was the passenger in a SUV that hit the back of a street sweeper at full speed. He wasn't wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle through the windshield; he was killed instantly. The driver, his wife's best friend, was wearing a seat belt and sustained multiple rib fractures and a broken arm, along with various cuts and bruises. She will be fine, physically at least. He leaves behind a wife, three step-daughters, the youngest only 5 years old, as well as two ex-wives and three daughters in their 20's. My other brother (his twin) will be the sole family member at the memorial service on Thursday.

I haven't spoken to him in almost 15 years. I'll tell that story in a future post. In order to heal myself, I had to cut him out of my life, and he's been dead to me for a long time. Now he really IS dead, and I'm having a difficult time wrapping my brain around the concept.

I just wanted to at least get started on this topic and put the facts out there. Perhaps it would have been more cathartic to write while I was still in the initial shock of it all, but I feared it would be too scattered for an audience without any historical reference to figure out. Family is indeed a strange beast.

5 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Sher said...

{{{{{{{{{{Donna}}}}}}}}}}}} You've had more than your fair share of things to have to deal with lately. Just know you are in my thoughts as you try to come to grips with this tragedy in your life. I am so sorry.

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Donna....I am so sorry. You indeed have had more than your fair share. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you make your way through this difficult time.

Suzanne
tiggy2001

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Donna - I don't know what to say. My head is spinning right now. I'm so sorry for your losing your brother, 15 years ago and now. Thinking of you in this difficult, strange time. Peace be with you.

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In light of what you say you will not now reveal, condolences do not seem appropriate.

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whether you were close or not, it is difficult to lose someone who was once part of your life. I'm sorry for your loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home