Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Monday, March 28, 2005

Jesus Envy

This should really be called "persons of faith-envy", but that wasn't as catchy. You know I am ALL about the clever title.

Easter is one of the few holidays that we celebrated in my childhood home. Having no religious affiliation or observances, it was a secular celebration, but an ethnic one. My mother is part Ukrainian and we took this one day and honored it by eating traditional food and doing our best to color eggs in the Ukrainian fasion. To this day my mother sends me Easter cards, one of three or four cards a year I get from her, part of our uneasy agreement on the amount of contact we each can stand from the other.

My husband's family are not church-goers either, but they take the opportunity to spend the day together. We went to brunch yesterday with a group of 8 and had breakfast, lunch and dinner in one sitting, including dessert. There were lots of cherubic children in fanciful dress, and many times during the meal I had to put a smile on top of the stabbing feeling I felt in my chest.

But that's not really what I wanted to write about. I don't even know what to call myself, the closest would be agnostic. (Ag·nos·tic : one who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God or gods, that it is unknown and probably unknowable; yet does not profess true atheist.) I always had a hard time believing that there was anyone or anything watching over me. When you are emotionally, physically, and sexually abused from an early age you learn quickly that you're on your own. I've been through so many trials and tribulations in my life, suffered so many injustices and lived through so much pain, yet I know that I am a good person. I can't make sense of it. I also don't believe that I am having a shitty life this time around so I can be reborn in a better life. I think when you die, that's it. There's no heaven, no hell, no reincarnation. So I try to make the most of the one life I have, despite the roadblocks. That would be a lot easier if I had faith.

I know several people who I would call extremely religious, whose entire lives are centered around the church and other members of it, and many more who have some religious affiliation who find a way to fit it into their busy modern lives. I am envious of all of them today. Its a source of joy for most of them that I have no access to.

6 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Sher said...

{{{{Donna}}}} I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better. Just know you are not alone and there are those that really do love and care about you.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I tried to respond to your post the other day, but wasn't able to connect for some reason. Anyway, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I think life is easier for those who have faith. A very good friend of mine and her husband live in Dallas and are members of the religious right. While I don't agree with their views by a long shot, they are very good people. Also, they never have any doubt that the way they live/raise their girls is the right way. It wouldn't work for me, but it would be nice to be so sure and not left out there hanging in the wind (or by a thread) like me.

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had the same thought many times.

My new religion is yoga - okay, it's not really a religion, but it is a way to peace.

I know how you feel about the shitty life experiences - hard to come terms with. In some respects being a woman will always suck. I'm just thankful I have the opportunities I do.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about help infertility and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about help infertility so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by help infertility

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog Donna. I was searching for information on Leonardo da Vinci and came across your post Jesus Envy - not quite what I was looking for related to Leonardo da Vinci but very interesting all the same!

Well we're already into 2006 and I wish you all the best. I'm doing a lot of original work on Leonardo, including looking in detail at the technical drawings of machines and human anatomy. We're also publishing a detailed analysis of the Last Supper and Annunciation, which should be quite interesting.

If you do have a moment, please take a look at our latest galery on: Leonardo da Vinci .

Wishing you well in the new year! Amon

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog Donna. I was searching for information on Leonardo da Vinci and came across your post Jesus Envy - not quite what I was looking for related to Leonardo da Vinci but very interesting all the same!

Well we're already into 2006 and I wish you all the best. I'm doing a lot of original work on Leonardo, including looking in detail at the technical drawings of machines and human anatomy. We're also publishing a detailed analysis of the Last Supper and Annunciation, which should be quite interesting.

If you do have a moment, please take a look at our latest galery on: Leonardo da Vinci .

Wishing you well in the new year! Amon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home