Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Thursday, March 10, 2005

What-If 101

A number of people in my life are playing the What-If game right now. We're all pretty good at it, next year I'm thinking of hosting the World Amateur Series of What-If here in Santa Cruz. I'm gonna go way back and just get this off my chest so I can stop writing this blog entry in my head at night.

WHAT IF?

**I hadn't been sexually abused, starting possibly as young as 3?

**I didn't take any of those drugs I took as a pre-teen?

**I hadn't trained 20 hours a week in gymnastics, then even more hours a week in dance and color guard, keeping me astonishingly thin?

** I hadn't smoked on and off throughout my teens and 20s?

**I hadn't contracted almost every STD known to woman?

**I didn't have two seizures after starting BCPs, get put on anti-seizure medication, making the BCP fail, get pregnant, not know it, then have an abortion at 16 weeks?

**I had said no to the Christmas Eve marriage proposal from my ex?

**I hadn't contracted herpes from said ex?

**I didn't have a lap and two subsequent laser out-patient procedures to combat endo?

**I had had the courage and strength to leave my ex before spending 5 years in hell?

**I hadn't wasted my fertile years in a bad marriage?

**I hadn't been so scared of getting married again?

**I had brought up the idea of starting a family before I got over being scared of getting married again and asked hubby #2 to marry me?

**I didn't have to wait for 2 years for hubby to be ready to even begin TTC?

**I didn't waste a whole year TTC on my own at age 38 because my doctor was either 1) in the pocket of the insurance company or 2) a wheat-germ eating, birkenstock-wearing, hippy-dippy beach soul-sister who believed we should wait and give nature a chance?

**I didn't have a mini-nervous breakdown and start taking anti-depressants?

**I hadn't waited for 2 years before asking for another lap, only to find my right tube was twisted and attached to itself by adhesions?

**I hadn't spent the last 3 years forcing my ovaries to do what they obviously did not want to do?

**I hadn't spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on unsuccessful fertility treatments?

The answer to all of these questions is quite simple. I wouldn't be sitting here, right now, pouring my heart out to you. There is no cosmic force at work, there are no lessons to be learned. Life is a continuum. A house of cards. Removing one card either causes the whole thing to crash to the floor or changes the floor plan. Since I can't go back and find my Ace of Spades or Queen of Hearts, all I can do is pick up the next card. (And you wondered where the poker analogy would come into play.)

One thing I know for sure: whatever happens, I WILL get through it. Because I have no choice. And because I have a better support system now than I ever have before. Thanks, you know who you are.

5 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, What If, you had married at 16 and all your ten children had taken to drink, drug and dysfunction?

The place for What Ifs, is a neat little box at the back of your head, next to one that is labelled, What Is?.

There are so many definitions of fulfilment out there today. Homosexual families adopting kids, hetrosexual families deciding not to have kids. The Oprahs of this world renoucing both "wife and motherhood" to find themselves. And other women not finding fulfilment even after having 5 kids.

Donna, I refuse to believe that a woman is defined only in terms of her role as "mother". That is just one role carved out for us. You are such an intelligent surviver of all odds, you are going to carve out a role that brings you happiness. You already have.

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if.... man, you're brave to go there. You are a brave, wonderful, amazing woman - no matter what happened in your life. I know there are many things you're grateful for - you are so strong to be able to list the regrets and still acknowledge the good you've had from life, too. Love you - Kym

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

Oh wow! I can definitely go to these events if they are being held in Santa Cruz!!!

I hate what if. I hate it!
When you think 'What If' enough, a labotomy starts sounding like a good thing.
((HUGS)) Donna

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

What if...I could make my way to Santa Cruz? Could I join?

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, your what-ifs are virtually identical to mine, so I know the frustration and pain you are going through. Remember that the what-ifs, which should really be labeled tragedies you had to overcome, shaped you into the articulate, empathic, and driven person you are today. I know that doesn't take away the pain, but just wanted you to know someone out there identifies with you and shares your feelings. And I miss you- think about how you're doing pretty much every day.
Teri

 

Post a Comment

<< Home