Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Friday, March 18, 2005

Reflection

The other night I had dinner with a girlfriend, something I do quite often. I try very hard to nurture my relationships, particularly with my girlfriends, I've come to realize in the past couple of years how important they are.

We had a lovely dinner at one of my favorite Italian places, I bought a couple bottles of wine from the wine store and we wandered in the gourmet kitchen shop and the art gallery before parting. I felt really good in my suede boots and matching jean jacket and was having an outstanding hair day, getting lots of looks from men, most of them much younger than I. My tummy was full of pasta and wine and dessert and latte, the weather was balmy and warm and I was window shopping along a flower-lined street filled with beautiful things and beautiful people.

Then I caught my own reflection in a store window. I was alone. The smile faded from my lips and I thought to myself, "Is this all?" This is as good as it gets? I had everything I could ask for at that moment, but I felt empty and sad all of a sudden. I walked dejectedly back to my car, put my wine and my designer purse on the leather seat next to me and cried.

4 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh honey. You ARE one of the beautiful people. I wish the feelings of emptiness never entered your mind. I wish you had everything you've ever wanted. I am so sorry.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry - sometimes that crap just hits you all of a sudden, no warning. I'm sorry that it ruined what should have been a lovely evening. - Kym

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Sue said...

It is amazing how these waves of sadness can overcome you. I'm sorry you were so sad, but glad you were able to cry. It's worse to hold in in.

Hoping you're feeling better, soon!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

How awful that the crappy thought had the nerve to invade that happy moment. I hope that today is a better day my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home