Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Media Outlet

One of my many infertile friends was bemoaning the constant bombardment of family and child-oriented media messages at lunch recently. Sufferers of other afflictions, diseases or circumstances don't have to contend with being constantly reminded of their heartache like those of us who are childless do. Everything from commercials (often for products not related to children at all) to news stories to sitcoms, you can't go for one day without being reminded that the family is all important, that children are our future and that some amazing percentage of our tax dollars go towards the school system.

I realize that I am hyper-sensitive to these messages right now; I struggle to get through each day without breaking down in tears or becoming angry at myself. I think about being old and having no one to take care of me, of all the things I'm going to miss out on by not being a parent. And while I don't define my worth as a woman by my ability to bear children, I have defined myself in large part for the past three years as a Woman Trying To Conceive. It was the goal, the path, the focus, the forefront of all my thoughts and actions.

Even though we are not doing anything to prevent conception, I feel in my heart that it is just not in the cards for me. I know its going to take some time to get out from under this cloud, but at the moment I feel so aimless. My husband practices Aikido, one of the Japanese martial arts. He is lucky to have the support system that his dojo provides, as well as the unattainable goal of mastering the art; there will always be something more to learn, always another level of achievement up ahead. I'm hopeful at some point I will find (or go back to) something that brings me joy and helps to fill the hole in my heart.

7 Comments:

At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take your time to work through this. For a long time you've had this one issue foremost in your thoughts - it will take some time to relase that and move on. Know that there are many who love you. -Kym

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Sher said...

Donna,
I am in the process of trying to let this go as well. What will eb will be. I am seriously considering letting go of being a Host. DH and I just are not on the same wave-length as before and it is so torturous to keep hoping and nothing (and I mean nothing) happening. Right now, if I got pregnant, it would be an immaculate conception. I've pretty well given up charting bit by bit.

{{{{{hugs to you}}}}}}

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D - Has it been as hard on your DH as it has you? Does your DH have any kids from a previous marriage or relationship?

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Donna said...

This has been very hard on DH -- all of it. Deciding to TTC, all through the process and now dealing with the end of the line. He cares so much and worries so much it probably affects him more than I know. For that I am sorry too.

Jessica - WOW! Really, there is a thing called adoption that I should consider? Holy fuck, I would never have thought of that on my own without your assvice. And, I do volunteer, thanks for that tip too. Nice prom dress, honey.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna,
I completely understand what you are going through. You may remember me as tiggy2001 on the ttc boards. We were informed back in January that we had a less than 10% chance of ever conceiving. It took 5 years of hell for them to tell me that. I often wonder who will take care of me and Chris when we're old as well. Kym is right - take your time working through this - some days are going to be tough, some horrible and still others somewhat bearable. {{{hugs}}}

Suzanne

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

OMG..I can totally relate. I have thought about that a lot. The whole kid thing is just fucking shoved in your face night and day. Enough alfuckingready!
I think we should write all of the networks about starting a show or something that bans that kind of shit.
HEHEHEHHEHE *snicker snicker*
Just love the trolls! :)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Suzanne, so nice to hear from you! I would gladly take your 10% in exchange for the less than 5% my doctor gave me, and that was BEFORE my FSH level went up to 18. I hope you will continue to visit me here and write comments.

Sher, I saw that you resigned as host on the SK forum. I found it very liberating to be freed from feeling like I had to visit the boards several times a day, although I do miss the ladies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home