Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Ode to Annie

I'm starting to bore myself here folks, so if you came back, thank you. Emotionally I'm doing better, but now I have a cold; which could explain some of the melancholy I've been experiencing.

Even though Rule #1 is This Blog is All About Me, today I've decided to give everyone a break and give you some tunes.

I've loved Annie Lennox for 20-old years now, going way back to the early Eurythmics' days. I cut my eye teeth on the dance floor of the clubs in the Vancouver suburbs on "Sweet Dreams", "Love is a Stranger" and "Here Comes the Rain Again"...who didn't? The dance clubs were the place I let loose my conservative, bookish persona and introduced the world to the chick who would get up on the speakers to dance in front of the video screen. I'm sure alcohol helped in those endeavours. People from school or other parts of my life would barely recognize me, and I met several boyfriends at the clubs. None of those relationships worked out, as they were surprised to find the girl they were dating wasn't always Speaker Girl. One of them was one of the great loves of my life though...definitely the one who got away (back to England). Dammit, how did I get back to me??

There is an excellent biography/discography here if you want to know more details about Annie, who is far more interesting than me. Her three solo albums are Diva (1992), Medusa (1995), and Bare (2003), all of them chock-full of amazing vocal performances. Here's a song from each (right click on the link and Save Target As to download).

Cold (Diva) mp3

Waiting in Vain (Medusa) mp3

A Thousand Beautiful Things (Bare) - mp3

16 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you, I hope you are doing well.

It is amazing how much I ADORE every single song that you recommend. We must have awesome taste!

I need to get my ipod stuff on my computer(haven't installed it since my virus)...I adore Annie.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

I also love Annie, she has the most beautiful voice. I remember dancing with a frenzy to "I need a man" and for the life of me, can't understand why this mating ritual of dancing in front of the guys didn't attract one! I must have scared them off...

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Ah, I remember 1983 and seeing Annie play live at my uni. I don't know why people slag off the 80s cos some of it was absolutely fabulous!

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Donna, your musical choices for these last few weeks have been fantastic. Thanks for the Annie reminiscences (sp?). I listened to, but never consumed her if you know what I mean.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger tonya said...

Love Annie too. Know what song always gets stuck in my head? "Keep Young and Beautiful"... cracks me up!

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're just going to have to make sure you have a good time on Friday.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Sher said...

Sweet Dreams was always a fave of mine. Thanks for the memories!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

I've been a total lurker lately... reading people's blogs, but no time to comment... and not even that much time to read... but I'll be back.

Ah the clubbin' days... I had my share... I totally loved going out dancing, and I actually kind of miss it. It was silly and sometimes a little shallow but who cares... it was such a great way to break free and just feel good... one of the best times was in Les Bains Douches in Paris, surrounded by super models, I snuck in with my friend (who I should probably post about at some point) who works in fashion... Hall and Oates and Michael Keaton were there that night, along with a ton of other eye candy, it was bizarre... Michael Keaton actually came up to me at one point... okay, I definitely have to blog about this and stop clogging up yours...!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

oh and yes, Annie...? She's a goddess. And I have -always- wanted a leopard print hat just like the one in this photo... one day...

 
At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Toriqul Islam said...

BULLDOG DRIVING SCHOOL Inc


BULLDOG DRIVING SCHOOL Inc. Truck Driver Training Near You, has been leading the pack in CDL training for more than 14 years.

The only CDL driving school that works with most of the communities. We provide job placement guarantee. Study material is provided in different languages. Our instructors are fluent in native languages and provide lessons in the language of your choice. Our services are available in all Chicagoland.

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Business Buzz said...

MedSpa & Laser Hair Removal in Orland Park

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Business Buzz said...

cashjunkcarsnowCash for Junk Cars Removal in Chicago Sometimes is needed if you have title or no title junk cars needed removal service for scrap metals.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Business Buzz said...

vape shop swholesale

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Business Buzz said...

chicago limo service

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Business Buzz said...

shisha plus
tax home services
yahala travel
vape shops wholesale
chicago limo service
elitemycpa

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Business Buzz said...

elitemycpa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home