Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Freedom of Information

There's still communication going back and forth between D. and his son (C.), providing more details and insights. We've both been struck by how similar their writing styles are. Sadly, they both became separated from their sons at an early age, something which may have been the catalyst for C. wishing to seek D. out. C. indicated in one of his messages that he thinks "we may be more similar than either of us would have imagined."

We've now found out that my Aunt died of pneumonia and that she'd been ill for quite some time. In order to obtain her records from the institution I have to file a request with the Canadian equivalent of the Freedom of Information Act through the Ministry for Children and Family Development. They will make a copy of her file and someone has to come to their offices and pick it up in person, showing identification. Obviously I'm not going to be able to do that, so I hope my brother will help me out. My contact from the institution's survivor's group said not to be surprised to see information blacked out, that it would only consist of "what they dared to write in her file". I'm not quite sure why I feel so compelled to find out as much as I can about her. Partly its just pure curiousity; I can't imagine being deaf and blind, never mind growing up in such a place. I'd love to write about it, maybe that's my first novel.

























In obtusely-related news, last Thursday Dubya signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity. Does this mean the end of blog trolls? Here's the relevant language: "Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both." Read the CNET article here.

10 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigosh! Donna!! She was in Woodlands??? I used to drive by it almost everyday before it was torn down to build condos. I've even toured through the place a couple times...

I don't know why... but this just makes me so much more sad...

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whah? Could it be that Dubya is actually doing something beneficial? Woooooooow.

I'm so glad to hear about C and D. I'm really looking forward to the story expanding.

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad communication is opening up between C. and D. (I just can't write them the other way around), and that they are finding similarities, even if those are sad ones...

Those pictures made me very sad. I hope you do write a book about her. What a tribute that would be.

The end of trolls? Whatever shall we do for sport?

 
At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so exciting to see this story start to unfold for D. and his son.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger April said...

I'm so excited to hear continuing good news about D & C. Such wonderful, wonderful news.

And as to your aunt, I think writing a book in her memory would be a positively lovely tribute to her.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Donna - I love the idea of that as your first novel. Yes Yes!

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that things are coming along with C&D.

That place just looks so cold. It reminds me of girl interrupted.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger avonlea said...

I hope father and son can come together soon and that they'll continue to get to know each other.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger MC said...

How exciting that D and his son are communicating.

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Absolutely, definitely, you should write about your aunt! What a tribute to her life that would be.
I'm also glad that D and his son are communicating...funny how life really does come full circle, and that thre are so many similarities between them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home