Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Friday, December 30, 2005

Too Little, Too Late

Just when I thought I was going to skate through the rest of the year without falling through the ice, I receive a phone call from my Dad. My aunt, his sister, passed away quietly on Wednesday. Faithful readers will remember this is the aunt I never knew existed until I was a teenager, who was born deaf and blind and spent her entire life in an institution. I pressed my family to take the simple steps necessary to find her, which we did, in October . I regret terribly that I never got the chance to meet her, and, even worse, that neither my Dad nor his brother got the chance to see her before she died. I had no idea she was so ill.

The silver lining in all of this is at least the government worker knew how to get in touch with her family (she is a ward of the court); if we had not made contact with her caregivers I don't know how hard they would have searched for next of kin.

If you have people in your life that you love and you haven't told them recently, tell them today. It might be your last chance.

Peter Gabriel -- I Grieve -- Mp3

19 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Donna. I wish her (and you) peace.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, what sad news. I'm so sorry.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Sher said...

Donna I am so sorry. I know you were looking so hard for her and was excited to have finally found her. I'm sorry you never got to meet her.

{{{{hug}}}}

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Donna...I'm so sorry that you received this sad news. I, too, wish you all peace.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Donna, I'm so sorry.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger avonlea said...

Donna, I'm so sorry the reunification never took place, and that your aunt has passed without meeting you all. What a tragic situation.

Hugs

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no. I'm sorry. How untimely, and so frustrating and sad. Thinking of you.

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Donna: Sorry this happening to you and your family. For years, I worked with people who are deaf and blind. I wish I could have met your aunt, too!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Donna.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Sorry to hear this news... but thank goodness you did find her, or maybe she would have been lost forever.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Fertile Soul said...

Donna, I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger charlie's mom said...

I'm very sorry. I wish you had gotten to meet her.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, honey... I'm so sorry. So incredibly sorry.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger chris said...

I'm so sorry.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Sad news, Donna, and at this time of year. Thinking of you.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Donna. That's so sad.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Donna,
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the facts of your silver lining help to bring you solace. You did a great thing by pushing your family to find her even though it didn't turn out as you dreamed. Take care of yourself.

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Condolences, Donna.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger April said...

Donna,

My heart is woefully heavy with sadness for your loss.

I am so sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home