Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Friday, December 02, 2005

The Power of Two

Today is my husband's birthday. At the risk of spreading a thick layer of feel-good-goo, I'm going to take this opportunity to say a few words about him and us.

In spite of what you would expect to find, the vast majority of infertiles have really good marriages or relationships, and I'm no different. I suppose this is the kind of thing that could bust apart a union, so if you make it through this you know you've got a keeper. We've had so many opportunities in our life together that have had the potential for disaster, but all the adversity has just brought us closer.

His name is Devin; it means "poet" in Gaelic, and hearing it said aloud still shoots electricity through me. I suppose that could be because for so long it was a forbidden name. When we met I had been married less than a year and, at 25, was already terribly unhappy. [Was I really only 25?] Within 6 months he had fallen in love with me, told me so and embarked on a trying 5 year odyssey of waiting while I extricated myself from a complicated, doomed marriage.

Obviously, patience is one of his many virtues. He is an accomplished musician, plays the guitar and the drums; writes poetry (he wrote a haiku for our engagement announcement); can fix or do anything around the house, from the computer to the plumbing; drive any kind of vehicle; is working on his black belt in Aikido; loves animals of all kinds, is sweet, funny, good-looking, and likes to cook. What's not to love?

We have the same initials. Anyone who knows us would recognize the DH2 moniker. Not "two people with the same initials", rather, DH squared, DH to the power of two (see my blog URL).

The other day he gets on IM and sends me a big smile emoticon. "Why so happy?", I write back. "Married to you", he replies. This kind of thing is a normal, everyday occurance. If it weren't so heartfelt it would be annoying. OK, it might be annoying if you were sitting next to us and we were having this conversation, but only because you would be jealous.

We celebrate our anniversary every month, so today is a doubly special day since its also a "monthiversary". I got him a really cool present, but I can't tell you what it is yet, since he might read this. I'll tell you soon, but its REALLY cool.

This one's for you, baby. I love you.

Etta James -- At Last Mp3

9 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have wonderful night celebrating.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

A lovely post and a Huge Happy Birthday to your D (same birthday as my beloved)

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Devin! I hope the two of you have a wonderful birthday weekend.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger MC said...

That was such a lovely post. I hope the celebrations are fun.

Didn't get a chance to comment on your previous post. Some days I'm ok and some days things like that really get to me. The fact that we can both discuss life after IVF if it doesn't succeed is a major step. Usually I would be a bawling and sobbing mess.

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that song. :)

Happy Birthday, Devin :)

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

love Ella... my hubby is a former poet... how do you keep the poet in them alive through the years?

 
At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday dh ... wonderful post Donna. Hope the celebration was fabulous.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

I will steal Ollies saying and say 'Devin is GOLD.'....oh and Happy Belated BDay, Devin!
I hope you guys are having a wonderful weekend.
You guys are too cute. :)

 
At 5:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love feel-good blog entries, and I am so happy that you and Devin have each other to celebrate with! There is nothing so great, as a good man (and woman!)
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home