Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Mother

Many times I've read and heard Infertiles lamenting about how strangers are always asking them if they have kids. This happens in places where you might expect it -- the park or the baby clothes section of a store -- and when you don't -- while you're getting coffee or having your hair done. I don't have this problem. Seriously, nobody EVER asks me if I have kids. Do I just not give off maternal vibes, or am I so unapproachable people are afraid to ask me about anything?

I was chatting with one of my single girlfriends the other day, she said people ask her all the time if she has kids while she's at the grocery store, but that could be tied to the fact that she eats like a 10 year-old boy. Cap*n Crunch and chocolate milk doesn't exactly scream Executive. She said its because I don't look like a Soccer Mom, or the haggard Mom of an infant for sure, I'm always so put together. That's part vanity and part circumstance, but she has a point, I don't own a velour tracksuit and I almost never go out of the house without make-up and my hair in a ponytail with baby spit-up on my shoulder. I figure if I'm going to put in my contacts I might as well spend another 5 minutes to put on a bit of make-up and brush my hair.

Still, I wonder if its my appearance or something deeper.

For those of you dying to know how that copper satin gown looked on a real live me, here you go, and a bonus shot of Mister GQ in his new three-piece suit. The party was the same as it always is, but they had a passable Australian shiraz for me to drink and that helped immensely.





















17 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

I have never thought about putting out a mommy vibe or not. Something to think about now.

About the asking crap - having one isn't enough b/c then they'll ask why you don't have two. You never win.

Well, unless you don't put off a mommy vibe and people don't ask. Good ploy, actually.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

PS - lovely, lovely pictures

Copper becomes you.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get asked that often, but still, I wonder if I'd rather not get asked, then get asked.

That color looks awesome on you. It brings out your eyes.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger April said...

O.k. first - wow. You look breathtakingly beautiful.

And people rarely ask me about it. Oddly, when they do, it's only at the end of a failed cycle.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

You BOTH look fabulous!!! *Applause*

As for the getting asked 'the question' thing..I can't even TELL you how many times I have been asked....now, you are making me think that maybe I don't look as 'chill' as I think I do though. hehe
You always DO look very put together though, I will hand it to you.

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, amazing, I am sure that both of you were the belles of the ball.

I get asked ALL THE TIME about my children....how many, where do they go to school, ....actually, people assume I have more than one, usually referring to plurals when asking me questions.

I definitely put off some kind of momma vibe....my answer always depends on my state of mind, if I am in a good place I cheerfully say "no, but I'd love to have children one day".....when I am glum, I say "no actually, I don't have children, my husband and I have been trying desperately for four years....it has been heartbreaking" - most people leave me alone then.

I often wonder why I do get asked that so often....probably at least once a week....something about my children......hmmmm.....I don't know why.

 
At 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a hot couple!

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Rooshie said...

Damn! You look HOT in that dress! Maybe your friend is right. I know there are things about me that scream 'MOM'- the minivan, mostly. But also that I work from home. I wear makeup and never wear anything dirty when I go out, but I do wear more casual clothing, no one would ever see me out and think that I was on my lunch break from work... I think also the fact that all of my friends are moms, so if I meet people through them... I have always thought that part of all of the questions I get is where I live. In the south, there seem to be few boundaries. And motherhood is pretty much expected, and they ask not "if", but "WHEN???"

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Stunning...absolutely stunning! Both of you...WOW!
When you look that good, it's no wonder people don't ask if you've got kids.
Personally, I'd rather not get asked. (although I think people are wondering if I'm pregnant because I'm a little round in the middle. Not pregnant, just fat...sigh)

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Such double gorgeousness!! Hope you had a blast together. No-one ever asks me about the mummy thing - I probably look like I would kill them!!

BTW if you ever make it to Northern Ireland, you know that you have to come just a little bit further over the water to meet me!

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy SHIT, Donna! You look SMOKIN'!

Cute husband, by the way, as well.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Sue said...

You guys look great, Donna!

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a total HOTTIE, Donna!

 
At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, I do get asked this with some regularity, but not usually by random people, thank goodness. It's still like a knife to the heart every time it is asked, though.

You are gorgeous in that dress ... and together with DH you are a very good looking two.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger chris said...

You look lovely in your dress.

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(cue Hendrix....)

FOXY... FOXY lady!!!

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home