Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Thursday, January 19, 2006

48 Hours

Just about 48 hours from now we will be sitting down to dinner with C.

I'm doing a bit better, but it still feels bittersweet. Before, D. and I carried the shared burden of being a childless couple, and our own private agony over why it was so for each of us separately, and us together. Now, the rules have changed. He is a father and a grandfather over there and I'm still over here, childless. I know that isn't the reality of the situation, he's no more C's father in the sense of being his parent than I am his step-mother, but there is a blood bond there that I will never share.

On the flip side of that coin, as long as I've known him, he's been a father, and had the opportunity to go through his partner's pregnancy and watch the birth of his son, and spent the first year watching over him and watching him grow and learn. Ironically, that is why D. was so hesitant to have a baby with me (the fear of going through all that again), and what made it possible for me to even entertain the idea (my fears being calmed by being with someone who had already been through it).

'Tis a tattered web I weave.

5 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

Donna,
I understand being torn by your mate's progeny. I hope you can find your place in this and that the transition is easier than you anticipate. It's okay to not be rational right now.

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hoping that it goes soothingly well. Until then, **HUG**

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Mellie said...

Donna,
I hope that in some way, you getting to meet D, will work wonder on your soul.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger avonlea said...

Donna,

My thoughts are with you, I want what you want.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger tonya said...

Your sadness is palpable. I wish I could give you a hug. Please take care of yourself as you deal with all these changes, and I hope the dinner with C. goes well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home