Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Travel & Leisure

As I await the onset of the Blood of Broken Hearts (hereinafter referred to as BOB H.) and all that entails, including the start of the last injectibles cycle and with it my last decent chance of having a child...I've been thinking about what else I can do with my life.

Travel for me has always been a double-edged sword. I love visiting places I've only read about, seeing different cultures first-hand and bringing back treasures.

But --
1) I HATE flying.
2) I have a weak stomach and often can't eat local cuisine without paying for it later.
3) I get sea-sick.

That's a start. But I digress. I'm compiling my own list of places I want to see before I die. I was reading the latest issue of Travel & Leisure at the hairdresser's the other day, it contained their annual Best Hotels in the World List. I noticed that in almost every country, one of the top hotels was a Ritz-Carlton, not surprisingly. Here's a list of all of their hotels world-wide. A worthy list for sure. I've been to exactly one, in Half Moon Bay, California, near my home. Its a start.

One trip I've always wanted to do is the Orient Express, a train trip through Europe sounds heavenly -- no airports! The same company runs PeruRail, another place I would love to visit. Finally, an African safari in the 1920s style of luxury sounds amazing. I have a lot to do with the rest of my life. Its a shame I can't share it with a child.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm up for travel of any kind - and your trips all sound great. If you cannot have your heart's desire, I suppose you may as well have a good time. And that sucks. -Kym

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

That's funny. I have been thinking about the same thing. Not travel per-say, but what else I can do.
I think you should GO FOR IT with the travel...it seems so...YOU. I have to admit, The Orient Express sounds pretty wonderful to me too.
Good luck with the inject. cycle, hon. You know I got your back! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home