Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Sunday, January 09, 2005

I'll Add it to the List

There are so many things about infertility that are difficult, heart-breaking, disappointing and frustrating, but today I want to talk about a specific, at least for me.

Our best friends have a 3 1/2 year-old son, who was conceived after 4 rounds of IVF with ICSI. On the last (successful) attempt, they had just the one egg make it through fertilization and re-implantation. He's a miracle baby, perfect in every way. I love him dearly, and he loves me, he's told me so many times.

Yesterday we spent the day with them. By the end of the day I was so sad...not because of anything that happened, but just because I had this overwhelming feeling that I would never know the joy of being a mother. Every time I felt his little hand in mine or watched my husband tickle him and laugh along him, my heart ached. I don't feel jealousy at their success, just sad for my own lack thereof.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

I hear ya, sister! It can be so rough to see how happy those perfect little families are. As happy as you are for them, its just a reminder.
He sure sounds like an adorable little kid, though. :)

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

I always feel kind of guilty when I have these little sadness bursts, but I think they're perfectly normal for those of us who live with infertility. It's not a comment on how we feel about our friends, or that we're not happy for them (especially your friends, given their struggle), but it's hard. It's just hard. Thinking about you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home