Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Friday, January 14, 2005

Frustrated & Disappointed

Don't you hate it when you encounter a situation where there really is nothing you can do to change it? No, I'm not talking about infertility. I've been overlooked for two positions lately because I don't have a college degree. I have 15 years' experience, a national certification in my field and have worked for some high-profile companies (even for Silicon Valley), but without that piece of paper from 20 years ago, I can't even be considered. I guess it was bound to happen eventually. I've skated my whole life on my talents and hard work, and up until now the lack of college hasn't held me back, at least not in any way that was obvious.

Yes, I could go back to school now and get a degree. But, to get a BA it would take me 6 or 7 years of night-school, then I would be in my late 40s with a piece of paper. I don't have the money, time or inclination to even consider this. I know there will be other opportunities where this is not an issue, but that doesn't make my current situation any less frustrating or disappointing.

On another topic, I'm a little concerned about my apparent addiction to TV. Every single night of the week there is at least one show on that I feel like I cannot miss.

Monday: 24, followed by Medium

Tuesday: Amazing Race VI, and when that ends, American Idol, then Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (must be something about Tuesdays and reality!)

Wednesday: Lost, then Alias (my favorite show of all), then CSI:NY

Thursday: Will & Grace, then Without A Trace

Friday: Medical Investigation

Saturday: MI-5

Sunday: Desperate Housewives, then Crossing Jordan

I used to watch West Wing on Wednesday nights but that's on at the same time as Alias, and that wins hands down. I suppose watching this much TV keeps me off the streets and means I'm not out spending money, but really, is this normal?

Wait, don't answer that.

3 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Isn't it amazing that we can actually believe that we "skate along on our hard work and skills" and others believe a degree can make us any different? I'm right there with you, having climbed the corporate ladder without a completed degree, and have recently been told to go back to school ... even though I've been 'acting' in a senior management position for almost three years. I agree that it's elitist!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Monday: 2 1/2 men
Tuesday: American Idol
Wednesday: Lost
Thursday: The Apprentice
Friday&Saturday: TiVo
Sunday: Desperate Housewives & Boston Legal

No - I don't understand your addiction at all.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

I am just like the rest of you...but since VH-1's, 'I love the 90's Part Deux' is on, everything else has fallen to the wayside...umm..besides 'Scrubs' that is.

I am sorry that you are getting so frustrated by the job market. I can totally understand..it's just not fair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home