Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

In Case You Were Wondering

The answer is yes, the dogs sleep with us. Both of them. Bailey likes to stretch out next to DH while Tucker curls up in a ball in between our feet. With an extra combined 185 pounds of dog on board, even in a king-sized bed, it's often a miracle I don't end up on the floor.

Pet therapy is a wonderful thing. In fact, Bailey IS a therapy dog. We belong to an organization called Furry Friends Pet Assisted Therapy Services. We visit two sites right now, a retirement home and a homeless family shelter, once a month to each site. Sometimes going to the homeless shelter is difficult, there are always lots of young mothers with several children, but they are the ones who get the most out of the dogs' visits.

I'm not sleeping well but otherwise am doing OK. I am really busy at work and have been putting in long hours. I miss my husband and my dogs but all the extra money will be well spent on our vacations this year. I'm a consultant, so the more hours I work the more money I earn. Now if I could just do away with those pesky quarterly estimated tax payments...

8 Comments:

At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is getting downright eerie.

I am the R that posted earlier. I also posted on an earlier entry that I am childfree after infertility.

I am also a consultant who dreads the quarterly tax payments...

I also have 2 sweet canine therapists.

are we in parallel universes or something?

Don't work yourself to hard- you're under enough stress already. Hope you can get some sleep soon. I imagine that you have a lot to get a handle on, don't ignore that - Now is a very important time to be taking care of yourself, don't shortchange your needs.

Of course, you know you better than anyone, so if that is unneeded advice, then toss it. But just in case you're needing someone to tell you to take care of yourself...

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Sher said...

Donna, our dog sleeps with us too, but not at my instigation. We got her when she was 3 months old and DH had her in bed with us from night one and she's been there ever since. We have a King size bed but she likes to sleep right between DH and I and then pushes against me with her feet as she stretches. Sometimes I wonder why I am not just pushed out of the bed. LOL

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our dog pushes in bed, too - we always laugh about who gets her good side (the back, so you're not poked with her feet!)

Donna - I'm glad that you have those doggies and that great husband. And even though work is a bummer, sometimes it's not a bad thing to take your mind off of things. And, as you said, you will feel great spending that extra money on a well-deserved vacation. (As R said - just ignore me if you like!) Give the puppies (and yourself) a hug for me! -Kym

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About ten years ago, I checked into the hospital (ended up staying for a few weeks) in order to treat severe depression. The first Friday I was there, a guy brought in some cats and dogs for pet therapy. It was really just what I needed at that point (for me, it was the kittens that helped).

So thank you for doing the pet therapy. I am sure it means a lot to people.
luolin

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How neat of you to bring your wonderful dogs to the people who need them. You are a geat person.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it before I will say it again, you and your dogs are groovy. Ok, I never said it in those words, but the sentiment is the same.

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Hey, Donna! Just got back last night. Of course I missed dh, but there's nothing like the love of a dog (s). Last night was the best sleep of the week cuddling with them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home