Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Dance Fever

Last night watched "The Company" with Neve Campbell, but really starring the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago. It would have been better as a documentary since it was a movie masquerading as one anyways. I loved the dance sequences, for the most part they do my favorite kind of dance -- modern but using skilled classical dancers. But, just like gymnastics and drum corps, seeing dance always makes me a little sad.

I started out as a kid as a gymnast. I was the youngest child and the last chance for the family to produce a champion. My Dad was a coach so there was that added responsibility to live up to his expectations. I just wasn't good enough, so eventually I quit and started coaching. Then came drum corps. Same thing there...I just was never good enough to really go anwhere with it, and didn't have the money to travel to CA to march with one of the really good corps. So, eventually I gave it up (before I had to) and taught. Dance was the throughline between the two, and I loved it maybe most of all. I remember a couple of moments in performance where I felt truly alive and free and connected at the same time. Hard to explain. But, again, I wasn't good enough to really go anywhere with it.

I used to have the perfect dancer's body, but my flat stomach is now gone and my knees complain after a half hour on the elliptical. I know I could always go to a class or even join the Raiders company, which even gets to perform, but my heart's not in it, not with all the TTC crap going on (still). Once again, my timing sucks.

Of all the dreams I had as a kid, the only one I have left that I have a shot at making happen is writing. Maybe that's why I started this blog thing. I've spent the last few years devouring books at an alarming rate, so now its time to start putting words to paper. Janice (who has been a journalist for 25+ years) has always said I should write. I don't need a dancer's body to type.

1 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

Devouring books, huh? Any suggestions on what I should pick up next?

As for the classes, I really really really really suck..but would be willing to try a class with you if you want someone to go with.

From what I can tell, you are a great writer. Stick with it, girlie!!!!
((HUGS))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home