Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Happy May Day

Having grown up in Canada where all things British are still revered, I took part in many May Day festivities. I found this and linked it on Olivia Drab's blog because of her auspicious May Day. I never realized the fertility connection of the ritual, although this makes perfect sense: "Originally the Maypole represented a phallic symbol or a Pagan symbol of Fertility celebrating sexuality..." Dancing around a giant pole makes about as much sense as most of the other crap we've been told that increases our chances of conceiving.


Maypole dancing

4 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly. Start dancing.

May Day is also known as Beltaine, the day of union of the Horned God and the Goddess (if you've read "Mists of Avalon," you are very aware of this holiday). Children conceived on Beltaine are considered giften by the gods.

This is a good page, but turn down your speakers because there's very cheesy electronic music:
http://www.tylwythteg.com/Beltaine.html

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone find it creepy that it's always very young girls dancing around the May Pole? Is it supposed to hold you for 30-40 years as long as you've done it once? I can remember doing it - it's not working for me. Interesting tradition. -Kym

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

I laughed, and then found myself with tears pricking my eyes. I never even KNEW about May Day until I was in 20's. My Ex was born on May 1 (and believe me, he truly believed that HE was God's Gift!)
Maybe thats why I'm now infertile...always finding things out just a smidge too late.

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm up for it. Anyone else want to join me for a go-round the Maypole?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home