Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Snow Day

Remember I told you the other day it was in the mid-70s and we ate our V-Day lunch outside? Yesterday and today...not so much. As I write this its 35 degrees and snowing. Keep in mind we are 2500 feet above sea level, even though we are only 10 miles from the ocean (can you say steep hills on the way to Donna's house?).

These pictures were taken this morning by D. in his bathrobe from our deck.
























































We've spent time with D's son every weekend for the last month. When we picked him up before Cirque I even met D's ex. I was a little nervous about meeting her, but she was very gracious, hugged us both and told D it was nice to see him again (they haven't seen each other since they split up more than 20 years ago). I keep expecting to be uncomfortable -- if this had been my family, someone would have been an asshole long before now, I'm sure. Just when I thought C was a little too good to be true, we found out that he smokes. A tiny blip on the radar, but at least it's something to put on the right side of the ledger. Not that I think underneath this polite and thoughtful exterior there lives a serial killer, but I'm just too jaded and cynical to accept all sweetness and light. Seriously, how sad is that?

I'm having a tough time getting through Lucky. I generally read right before I go to sleep and I've been having strange dreams and restless nights. When I finish the book I'll give a more detailed review; not so much of the book, but how it affected me.

Raise your hand if you remember this song!

Cool Change -- Little River Band

Let me know if you have trouble downloading this, I'm trying out a new archiving tool. I thought this was a fitting choice for this post, both because of the weather and my struggle to change my negative thinking patterns.

9 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you when I saw on the news last night that your area was probably going to get snow! I woke up looking at the mountains this morning, hoping to see some white caps, but no....

I think that is wonderful/amazing what is happening with your extended family. I remember just six months ago, you were hoping for some contact, now, look what's happening!

Puhhhllease with the smoking....hell, if someone would come up with some healthy cigarettes like (rosemary or lavendar), I'd be smoking up a storm...I so miss smoking. Non-smokers can't understand that attraction/desire.

I still don't have my ipod installed since my virus! BUMMER!

I need to get M. to do that!

I still would love to meet up, it is still crazy/unpredictable around here.

Take care,

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude!!! You got SNOW???? How freaking crazy. You don't even live that far away!!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Julianna, I've smoked on and off so I know about the attraction, and how addictive and hard to quit it is. I was just happy to find something "wrong" with him so I could let go of those serial killer thoughts!

Statia, it snows about every other winter up here. Down "off the hill" (i.e. Santa Cruz) its just raining.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Believe it or not, here in Toronto, there is NO SNOW! It has been one wacky winter. I don't really mind not having snow, but I must admit, it does look pretty when it's clinging to the tree branches.
I'm so glad that you've been spending W/E's with C. He sounds like a nice guy, and is obviously interested in getting to know you both. Interesting too, that you met the Ex. She was probably just as nervous meeting you!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

That's crazy that you have snow! We've had virtually none here in your homeland ... well, the part that I live in anyhow. I keep hoping for a couple of good snow days. We don't have much time left! Sounds to me like you're handling the whole new extended family thing with your usual grace. I knew you would.

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Your house looks AMAZING.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Sue said...

You have the most beautiful house, Donna!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Beautiful pics and with the snow! Dreamy. I am so jealous as we have had nary a flake this winter. It is just puny little wintry showers bah!

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home