Words to Live By

Happily married. 41. Infertile/perimenopausal. TV and iPod addict. Transplanted Canadian living in California. {Warning - abundant sarcasm and frequent *gasp* profanity lie herein.}

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Whiskers on Kittens

So what the hell is this blog about these days?

Even though it's been a year since we got off The Baby Train (as I so tactfully like to say), stories I hear that involve ART continue to fascinate me, even though I'll never take advantage of new technologies or have to worry about having to choose between donor egg and adoption. This story in the Washington Post was particularly interesting, if nothing else than for the human nature aspect. I must say I really like that some sperm banks are now giving the donor the choice of whether or not their identity can be made public (when their offspring reach 18), and I fully support the choice of a donor that elects NOT to.

In other random Donna-ness, here are some of my favorite things at the moment.

Market Pantry (Target brand) Lemon Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks. Just get some.

Lipton Diet Green Tea with citrus -- delicious and full of antixoidants!

Fairview Pinotage 2003 -- an excellent South African red wine.

Songs sung in French (Coloratura, can you help me with translation here?):
Sarah Harmer - Salamandre mp3
Madeleine Peyroux - J'ai Deux Amours mp3

Pageantry. I can't get enough of it. All that figure skating at the Olympics has refueled my need for live performances involving dance, costumes and competition. Fortunately, I live in a part of the country that has a thriving winter color guard and drum corps community. Sound like geeky band stuff? Think again.

















2006 Infiniti FX35
I don't need a new car, my 2001 VW Jetta does just fine, but damn...that is one sweet ride. I'm in love with this color too.

Got any new favorites to share?

11 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Did I read that right? $445 for sperm? Figures.

I can't believe it's been one year, Donna. I'm glad things are better and that you're still blogging, but my friend....it still sucks the big one.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Fertile Soul said...

Enya's latest "Amarantine" has been getting a lot of play on my ipaq. It's the perfect music to try to sleep to on the train and drown out all the other noisey passengers, who think it's okay to talk really LOUD at 6 AM in the morning.

What else ... brownies ;) especially from Corner Bakery.

I like my ipaq. When i'm not sleeping, i can actually do other things on the train, like write ... hahahaha.

And, oh, there's this toy fishing rod for cats. They LOVE IT! At the end of the pole is a little mouse, and you all you have to do sit and send that mouse flying across the room and then reel it back in, while your cats go nuts. FUN TIMES.

ok, i know, i feel like i'm missing something huge, but i cant remember. Did i say brownies?

I'll come back if i remember it.

But if i could, i'd upgrade to an Acura .... mmmmm, Acura

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Tiff said...

I love that color too..kick ass!
Dammit..now I gotta go to Target and find those cookies.

 
At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen that green tea. I'll have to give it a try. And that is a lovely car.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

That tea looks like it would be right up my alley but alas, I am on the wrong side of the pond! Don't talk to me about cookies!!

I second Amarantine and I am also listening a lot to Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris. I feel a little bit country!!!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

ooh, I could for a few of those cookies right about now... and here's a translation of 'J'ai Deux Amours', hope it don't take up too much space. I'll post the other one on my site for you. Josephine Baker immortalized this song in the 30s. If you ever get a chance, listen to her version, it's amazing:

J'AI DEUX AMOURS
paroles: Géo Koger, H. Varna
musique: Vincent Scotto

REFRAIN:
J'ai deux amours
I have two loves

Mon pays et Paris
My country and Paris

Par eux toujours
And forever

Mon coeur est ravi
Will they thrill my heart

Ma savane est belle,
My savanna is beautiful

Mais à quoi bon le nier
But I can't deny

Ce qui m'ensorcelle
What enchants me

C'est Paris tout entier
Is all of Paris

Le voir un jour
To see it one day

C'est mon rêve joli
Is my pretty dream

J'ai deux amours
I have two loves

Mon pays et Paris
My country and Paris

On dit qu'au-delà des mers
They say that beyond the sea

Là-bas, sous le ciel clair
Far from here, under a clear sky

Il existe une cité
There is a city

Au séjour enchanté.
Under a spell

Et sous les grands arbres noirs,
And under the great black trees

Chaque soir
Every night

Vers elle s'en va tout mon espoir.
All my hope flies to her.


Quand sur la rive parfois
Sometimes on the riverbanks

Au loin j'aperçois
From faraway I see

Un paquebot qui s'en va
A steamship departing

Vers lui je tends les bras
I hold out my arms

Et le coeur battant d'émoi
And my heart beating with emotion

À mi-voix
Faintly

Doucement je dis: «Emporte-moi»!
Softly I say: take me with you!




CRÉATION:
* Joséphine Baker (1930) - Joséphine Baker: collection «Étoiles de la

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should treat yourself to a new car anyway. Who doesn't love getting a new car?

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger MC said...

I love that car. I don't think we have that model in Austarlia. I'm hooked on the Mazda 6 at the moment,but can't afford it.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger chris said...

I really like my pastry brush, which has rubber bristles instead of boar bristles, which is kind of disgusting when you think of it, especially when they fall off in your BBQ sauce.

$9.99. It's the simple things, sometimes ;-)

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Madelein Peyroux too. I thought I was so unique!

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Donna----I happened to see your blog while looking for Loeffler Randall shoes. My son and daughter in law are the designers of this line. I am so glad you like them! There is a cute story about them in this month's Elle Accessories Magazine. I love the shoes and have to buy them myself...the mia and sadie are in my closet now!

Betsy D. cape cod massachusetts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home